MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mac Closedown Problem, Stuffit is preventing my mac from closing
paulnic
post Sat 7 Apr 2007, 13:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,096

I am new to Macs and am very very impressed with my Macbook.

However, I have encountered a problem. A program called stuffit failed to run properly so I took the cancel option.

It has now hung and wont close down- continually promising that it is doing so.

When I try to reboot the Mac is says that stuffit expander has cancelled a restart.

Is there an equivalent in the windows alt-control-delete which will force stuffit to close?
I have tried shift-command-Q and shift-Option-command-Q but neither will work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
sad.gif angry.gif

This post has been edited by paulnic: Sat 7 Apr 2007, 13:23
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lancet
post Sat 7 Apr 2007, 13:32
Post #2

Member No.: 46,480

QUOTE (paulnic @ Sat 7 Apr 2007, 08:22) *

However, I have encountered a problem. A program called stuffit failed to run properly so I took the cancel option.

When I try to reboot the Mac is says that stuffit expander has cancelled a restart.

Is there an equivalent in the windows alt-control-delete which will force stuffit to close?

Paul
sad.gif angry.gif

command-option-esc will bring up a task list that you may be able to quit from there.

also holding the power button for 5 sec. will shut it down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 7 Apr 2007, 14:32
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

The power button trick gives back a not so clean shutdown, it should be used only if you can't do a thing at all (app and finder and system are not responding, that is). It's way better to use command-option-escape as you force quit only the "bad" app and can save you stuff and eventually restart later (not mandatory, depends of the crash and of what you are doing).

another way to force quit is by click and hold on the icon of the app on the dock, you'll see a local pop up menu then and you can force quit from there as the option appears when the app "is not responding". wink.gif

The command-option-escape as the advantage you can force quit multiple apps as you have a window listing all open apps on display.

If you have an issue with Stuffit, there's 2 possibilities, le most likely is you're running a buggy version, upgrade! Note that the free apps of the Stuffit family are more than enough most of the time. The other possibility is the archive itself has a problem or is not a legit stuffit archive/stuffit supported, if it's in a compression format like zip, tar, rar, try the available freewares/sharewares, they may be able to do something about it if it's only an option not supported in Stuffit which causes it to get locked.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
paulnic
post Sat 7 Apr 2007, 16:37
Post #4

Member No.: 90,096

QUOTE (lancet @ Sat 7 Apr 2007, 13:32) *
QUOTE (paulnic @ Sat 7 Apr 2007, 08:22) *

Paul
sad.gif angry.gif

command-option-esc will bring up a task list that you may be able to quit from there.

also holding the power button for 5 sec. will shut it down.

Many thanks - that worked fine. Its all a learning curve, but I knew Mac would have a solution.

+Quote Post
Mac-Dee
post Mon 9 Apr 2007, 09:05
Post #5

Member No.: 36,296

DELETE STUFFFIT OFF YOUR COMPUTER

REset it Hold down Apple option P and R at the same time let your system ring 3 times (if it chimes two thats fine as long as u get adleast 2 chimes) then it will reset to default ....pram

then do a scan disk in disk utility

if that doesn't fix it

Back your system up and reinstall all
and not put on stuffit

cheers

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 9 Apr 2007, 11:26
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

The free versions are usually non-offenders, the $$ version, it's better to keep on a version not having issues… I've always managed to live in quietness with this simple rule. smile.gif

The OS X versions seem to be more stable btw. IMHO

Now, everyone can live happily with only the free versions and a few freeware/shareware for other formats. wink.gif (these last are very stable btw…)

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 21:03
- © MacMusic 1997-2008