MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Studio Monitors?, Low budget!!
add9
post Thu 9 Jan 2003, 15:41
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,388

What are you trying to tell me, River... huh.gif tongue.gif

When I have been spending 14 hours mixing, without eating, going to the restroom or talking to anyone,.... When my ears are soo tired and I feel I am the most shitty mixer in the whole world...,
I put on a pair of shitty headphones of an unknown Asian brand. Then I get confidense and feel good about myself again....for a few seconds....

Actually...When I want to hear what the rest of the world hear, f.i.my mp3's on my website, I just listen to them directly from my Mac. That does NOT sound very good... sad.gif

--------------------
"It said Windows 2000 or better on the box, so I bought a Mac"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Thu 9 Jan 2003, 15:50
Post #22

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (add9 @ Jan 9 2003, 14:41)
When I have been spending 14 hours mixing, without eating, going to the restroom or talking to anyone,.... When my ears are soo tired and I feel I am the most shitty mixer in the whole world...,
I put on a pair of shitty headphones of an unknown Asian brand. Then I get confidense and feel good about myself again....for a few seconds....

laugh.gif LMAO! laugh.gif

You are definitely a pro, add9. You have paid yer dues in full. Go to the head of the class.

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Presto
post Thu 9 Jan 2003, 18:35
Post #23

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

I've started caving. I'd like to see what the BMs sound like for the run of the mill ancient ancestor, and I know they don't mind spikes too much wink.gif

Damn, the roof's been fixed so I won't continue prior wet-testing.

Ah yes! How do they work in your environment, Levon River? wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

This post has been edited by Presto: Thu 9 Jan 2003, 18:43

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
tacoboy
post Thu 10 Apr 2003, 18:47
Post #24

Rookie

Member No.: 15,653

I will now boast the fact that I have a pair of Genelec 1030's. Thankyou - thankyou - thankyou.

1030's are the best nearfield monitors (I think) in the free world. A little out of your price range however.

Before my 1030's i had a pair of tannoy reveals and yes they sound beautiful. For your amount of money I wold get these in active or get some Yorkvilles. I dont know what there called but they rock and their newish. The problem with the less expensive monitors is that you may not be getting a true representation of the sound. Sure the tannoys sounded amazing (mabee even better than my Gennelec's) but when I play my tracks on another pair of spaekers it sounds well.... SHIT!

Good sounding speakers may not be the answer. Flat sounding speakers are! Now that I think about it for your price range actually try picking up a pair of Yamaha NS-10's. They would probably have to be second hand by now but they are found in top recording studios throughout the world!

+Quote Post
-spike-
post Fri 13 Jun 2003, 07:29
Post #25

Member No.: 19,348

1030's are the best nearfield monitors (I think) in the free world.

I absolutely agree, I had worked in a studio before that has 5 of these babies for 5.1 sorround mixing and they blew me away.
I personally use event 20/20 powered at home, I think value and quality wise they are great.

I would also recommend alesis m1 actives for a powered monitor soulution. Before I wouldn't believe that these things sound great but when I tried them myself they certianly give out a really flat response that has to be heard to be believed, mixes here would translate well to other systems and for just under $400 a pair it's a good deal.

A hint of warning though never buy them second hand and never buy them online because they have to be shipped, although the amazing performance they give out, they are poorly built and easily damaged internally with just a few bumps, so if your considering in buying one, go to store a check out a good pair yourself some people get a bad pair due to damages in shipping but if you get a good pair their absolutely a great value.

I can't believe no one mentioned mackie in this thread...MMmmm...I wonder why??

+Quote Post
Angelgob
post Mon 17 Nov 2003, 18:34
Post #26

Member No.: 29,073

well, I'm joining this discussion a little late, but here's my quest: I have some event 20/20s and am very happy with them, except for the bass, it is too prominent and when I listen to my mixes on a conventional stereo, there is hardly any bass. What kind of speakers could you recommend to compensate for this?

+Quote Post
kevindetroit
post Tue 18 Nov 2003, 06:06
Post #27

Member No.: 21,631

M-Audio BX5's $300 USD out the door at Guitar Center in US. I love them. They are active, sheilded and small enough but loud enough for a good project studio. My old roomate had the Mackie HR824's which are defiantly one of the best, but cost $1,400 a powered pair. Again really impressed with the BX5's and to my ears don't seem to color the music.

+Quote Post
dmrkh
post Sat 20 Dec 2003, 01:40
Post #28

Rookie

Member No.: 25,829

Is it too late to bring up a tangent, as in, (self)powered monitors?
Sorry, but I do like to check out Carvin's website and I can't help but notice they're still offering the blessed things.
One of my all time bass heroes, Anthony Jackson, swears by tube preamps running into powered speaker cabinets.
Now here I am, putting my bass down long enough to try making music with a keyboard after all, I recognize this is in contrast to the notion of overpowering your speakers.

Oh, Kevin, I live here in the 313 myself. Don't forget, Gtr Ctr can be cool, but it's the indie shops that are owned and operated by people just like the helpful ones here in MacMusic :-).

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 13:01
- © 440 Forums 2011