MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eastwest Vs. Apple, Disconcerting article
hahaworld
post Mon 17 Mar 2008, 03:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,728

Hey, everybody!

HaHaWorld here. Sorry I've been out of touch.

Does anybody have any good news about the new PLAY products from EastWest and their compatibility with Leopard? I've been waiting for PLAY to come out so I can actually use my Symphonic Orchestra collection again from EastWest, but this article from Film Music Weekly makes me wonder. Here are some excerpts from this article:

"All of the new PLAY products, without exception, are designed for 64-bit systems. PLAY is ahead of many manufacturers of hardware and software in that PLAY is, indeed, 64-bit ready. This means that when you read the Minimum and Recommended specs on the Soundsonline.com website you should interpret
Recommended as meaning: designed for. Read Minimum as meaning: will run, but not up to full potential. 8GB or more of RAM is preferred since the number of samples being loaded into memory (RAM) is huge!
. . .some of the PLAY MIDI performances have over 3,000 samples in them. With so many samples, a large amount of RAM is needed.

Within the RAM, you must account for how much is needed by the operating system. According to Apple, the minimum needed for Leopard is 512MB of RAM. So if your system is only 2GB, roughly 25% is going to the OS.

EastWest is recommending the fastest drive possible for enhanced performance. I checked, and those are the Seagate Cheetah’s running at 15,000 RPM (Mac Pros have available 300GB 15,000 RPM drives). They’re now in two sizes: 300GB and 400GB. Street price varies, but for 300GB (what’s available from Apple) you’re looking at $725 and for 400GB, $775. However, you have to remember that for optimum performance you need to keep 20% of the drive open. So your effective space on a 300GB 15,000 RPM drive is 240GB and 320GB with a 400GB 15,000 RPM drive. By comparison, a 1 Terabyte (TB) drive is
running around $325 depending on the manufacturer.

One thing that would be very useful for customers is to see statistically how the performance specs change with PLAY when using 7,200 RPM drives for samples vs. 15,000 RPM Seagate Cheetah drives for samples. Again, EastWest recommends the faster drives. But I would like to know before creating such a system what exactly a 15,000 RPM drive is really providing. Since these 300GB Seagate drives’ street price is at around $725 apiece, what percentage gain is realistically being achieved? It would also be good to see a chart or brief paragraph showing with MIDI Performances, the improvement of using 8GB of RAM to 16GB to 32GB, as opposed to anecdotal comments.

Logic operates with only 2GB of RAM. That’s it. To get PLAY or any other External MIDI instrument to operate with Logic on the Mac, it has to run using a freeware program called Soundflower. Installing Soundflower is a snap. Implementing Soundflower, especially if you’re new to the Mac, is not a snap. People not comfortable in working with Utilities –> Audio MIDI are going to have problems with it.

It’s not that I’m opposed to learning it. I just believe that when you’re thinking about dropping $7K on an Apple system that you shouldn’t need freeware to get their flagship program to work to industry standards.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Sun 23 Mar 2008, 17:18
Post #2

Member No.: 88,124

Hey,
here's my two cents. i'm using Kontact 3 to run my EW Symphonic Library, thanks to a file that an EW tech emailed me and i installed in my prefs folder. a silly work around, but at least i have access to my library, and a giant financial investment isn't languishing on an external drive.

I'm running on an 8 core Xeon, and when i got my new computer, i was dismayed to discover that the Kontact player version EWSLG (or whatever the correct acronym is ) didn't like my system. HA.

when i upgraded last year to the pro version from the regular gold version i was told i'd get the PLAY version free soon. now it's not "soon". the tech at EW told me they were still working the bugs out.

until they do, i'll be thankful i've got Kontact 3 to run my library.

+Quote Post
hahaworld
post Mon 24 Mar 2008, 12:33
Post #3

Thank you so much for the insight! I may just invest in Kontact 3. Is it a pretty easy workaround, or is the setup very involved? Thanks for any advice you can offer, houstonmusic!

Sincerely,
HaHaWorld

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Mon 24 Mar 2008, 17:45
Post #4

[quote name='hahaworld' date='Mon 24 Mar 2008, 04:33' post='270996']
Thank you so much for the insight! I may just invest in Kontact 3. Is it a pretty easy workaround, or is the setup very involved? Thanks for any advice you can offer, houstonmusic!

well, it was easy. once i got over the hurdle of emailing EW's tech guys, complaining that my library didn't seem to believe it was authorized, i got a very quick email reply on the steps i could take. then i asked about PLAY in my next email and again a quick reply. the Kompakt player version that shipped with the library was never the greatest interface anyhow, so i'm fine using Kontact. that said, i've loaded other kompakt player instrument libraries into Kontact and had them behave strangely. (Ethno World, Garritan Big Band) it's probably a crap shoot.
Kontact 3 is shipping with a huge library, and is a great addition to my arsenal. no project goes without using it.

+Quote Post
hahaworld
post Tue 25 Mar 2008, 18:05
Post #5

Thanks again, my friend. I'll be looking for Kontact 3 today. I owe you one!

+Quote Post
hahaworld
post Sun 30 Mar 2008, 21:49
Post #6

Dear houstonmusic,

Based on your recommendation, I ordered Kontakt 3 yesterday, and I was wondering if you would have time to give me a quick pointer or two about how I load my Platinum Symphony samples into it and use it in Logic. Will I have to use it as a standalone, or will it work from within Logic? Thanks for any tips you can supply!

Sincerely,
HaHaWorld

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Thu 3 Apr 2008, 16:52
Post #7

Hi again,
i hope Kontact 3 works out for you. sorry to take so long getting back on this.
I'm running Kontact as an AU plug in DP 5, and now and then standalone. works both ways.

in order to load my East West samples i had to install this file from the tech guy at East West. it replaced the prefs file, as i recall. My situation is a bit different from yours, as i was authorizing my East West library on a new computer. he had me run the kompakt player from East West in stand alone first. then with that new prefs file in place Kontact was able to open the East West Library. my guess is pulling this off will take an email to tech support at East West.
I can't speak to how this will work for you in Logic.
good luck!

+Quote Post
hahaworld
post Fri 4 Apr 2008, 05:19
Post #8

Thanks for your help!

Good luck!

HaHaWorld

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 09:37
- © MacMusic 1997-2008