MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Studio Monitors?, Low budget!!
ryosode
post Wed 11 Dec 2002, 04:11
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,270

I meant well known "active" monitors at below $300. =P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
add9
post Sun 5 Jan 2003, 11:11
Post #12

Member No.: 6,388

I'll join this thread smile.gif

I've been on Genelec 1029A cause they are cheap and small (don't have much space) but I am not satiesfied. The mixes I have done on those are way to "sharp". It seems like I have been fooled by the sound. It seems like I think I hear enough low frequences but when I play it on my stereo I hear that it is not "pushing" the way I want to.
I am now thinking of spending money on BM6A's in hope of getting a "cleaner" sound.

Do you think that it is a right investment for me to spend more money and buy Dynaudio?
Are there someone who is satiesfied with those small Genelec?

--------------------
"It said Windows 2000 or better on the box, so I bought a Mac"

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 6 Jan 2003, 06:17
Post #13

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Add9 if you run the 1029 without the sub you're missing a lot of things. the monitors due to their size can't go down a lot and it's a problem for a lot of type of music. If you have the sub, then either the sub is not well placed/tuned or these genelecs don't suit for your ears.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
bjkiwi
post Tue 7 Jan 2003, 01:07
Post #14

Member No.: 6,491

before u buy some different monitors, consider the effect of the room on what u are hearing. the acoustics of the room could be leading u 2 'hear' more low end than is actually there. without going into a detailed diatribe about room acoustics and monitor placement, I feel the most important task of monitors is 2 act as a benchmark for your judgement. so make up a collection of tracks u know well (lots of variety...rock, solo piano, vocal etc.) and listen to them in your space 2 become aware of the monitor/room's interence and then use them as comparisons and references to your work.
the vast majority of us are working and mixing in far less than ideal acoustic spaces and the better your awareness of the deficiences of your space the better equipped u are 2 make informed mixing decisions.

+Quote Post
Presto
post Tue 7 Jan 2003, 22:54
Post #15

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

add9 - try borrowing a sub and see what happens before you spend money. You never know, you might be able to get a favour from a shop, if you can't find a mixer friend nearby smile.gif

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 8 Jan 2003, 01:47
Post #16

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

On monitor placement, the site of Genelec as a learning part worth reading.

Genelec's tutorials

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
add9
post Wed 8 Jan 2003, 22:25
Post #17

Member No.: 6,388

Again, thank you guys!
This is the only place I know that I can get serious feedback on things that really matters laugh.gif for me that is .
I have considered a sub, but that will cost some...so... I have decided to go for Dynaudio.
I think they suit my ears better, and that IS important.

I get, because I am one of a few women in music tech., a very nice discount on stash tongue.gif
Therefore I can afford the BM 6A. I tried them here for just a few days....Wow! Nice cool.gif

Very interesting reading about monitor placement, lepetitmartien!

--------------------
"It said Windows 2000 or better on the box, so I bought a Mac"

+Quote Post
Presto
post Wed 8 Jan 2003, 22:41
Post #18

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

Yeah!!!!!! BM6As smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif Join the club!

I don't think you'll need anything else for yeeeeears.

I had a fright the other day - the barn attic roof leaked. Where? Only in one place. Exactly on one of my luvly monitors - not the back fortunately. Oof

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 9 Jan 2003, 03:55
Post #19

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

BM6A are rock solid (can't compare with other monitors not enough experience and it was not the place for close moitoring) but we feed them with huge modulars synths at last Frankfurt Musikmesse, and only once did we managed to clip in a week.
And we were very very bad with them.

If they are leakproof too… wink.gif

btw add9 you can call me LPM for short wub.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Also, the Genelec tutorial (they changed it and I don't have had a look to the new version) was extensive onto placement, DO try, there's theory and there's your room, begin with a theory placement then mess a bit around. Sometimes a few inches make huge differences, I had the exemple in the home studio a guy I know. 4-8" were the difference between mud and emphasys on bass and something much more clear and usable.

(beware, Presto is a BM6A fanatic tongue.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Thu 9 Jan 2003, 15:07
Post #20

Member No.: 6,734

add9, since the rarified air of philosophy on pristine studio monitors has been filled to a specific density equating to lead in this thread, I am loathe to introduce something so mundane and pedestrian, but I'd like to suggest that after you settle on the pair of crowning glories for yer studio, you locate yourself a ratty used pair of Ford standard-issue auto speakers, mount them with a few loose screws in plywood boxes, and hook them into a speaker A-B switch so you can listen with those to all your mixes--because *that* is what much of the world will hear your music on.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 20 Apr 2024, 09:34
- © 440 Forums 2011