MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Monitors For A Powerbook Set Up, What kind of speakers are you using?
lepetitmartien
post Sun 12 Dec 2004, 18:01
Post #31

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

You want to hear "real life" audio out (like a consumer system, be it good or bad = flattering) or a truly analytic one, pinpointing every single transient all other the spectrum, or something in between?

The whole thread is oriented to portable systems so as I said, there won't be absolute contenders in the real flat and analytic ones (i mean real flat: mesured, not audibly flat which is something changing of meaning according to the person talking about it)

If you know already monitors you like/dislike to listen/work with it's worth mentioning. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Botaferro
post Tue 28 Dec 2004, 18:38
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,792

No Monitors for me!!!
I'll stick to my B&W's DM303. I bet they beat any monitor in their price range (300 Euros the pair) and even above.
I think mixing it's in your ears, nothing more than that. If you know how a sound that you mix in some louzy speakers will transpose to another kind of speakers, your in the way...

+Quote Post
editbrain
post Tue 28 Dec 2004, 22:12
Post #33

Member No.: 30,424

I just purchased a pair of Mackie HR824's. WOW!!! Now there is a speaker for ya. I have never had so much fun mixing. It just seems to me that this is what i have been missing for a long time. got to love these monitors. round bass, no need for a sub. great highs and mids.

+Quote Post
nate d
post Wed 29 Dec 2004, 01:30
Post #34

Rookie

Member No.: 25,334

I have a pair of M-Audio BX-5s. They're pretty good. If I had a bigger control room I would have gone for BX-8s, but they're overkill for the room I'm in.

Botaferro I'd have to disagree with you! That sounds like having someone cover your eyes while you're driving, and then having them tell you when to brake and which way to turn. Even if you're good at it, you're bound to run into a guardrail or two! There will probably be frequencies in there that will be completely buried or nonexistant in other speakers. Since every system is different, your mix is bound to sound way off on some sets. (hence the point of monitors - you hear exactly what you mix) But if it works for you, more power to you!

--------------------
Powerbook 15" 1Ghz 768MB :: MOTU 828 ::
Logic Platinum 6 :: Propellerhead Reason 2.5 ::
Ableton Live 3.0.1 :: Peak 4 :: Midiman Oxygen8 ::
M-Audio BX-5 Monitors :: Firewire drive

+Quote Post
Botaferro
post Thu 30 Dec 2004, 17:17
Post #35

QUOTE (nate d @ Dec 29 2004, 00:30)
Botaferro I'd have to disagree with you! That sounds like having someone cover your eyes while you're driving, and then having them tell you when to brake and which way to turn. Even if you're good at it, you're bound to run into a guardrail or two! There will probably be frequencies in there that will be completely buried or nonexistant in other speakers. Since every system is different, your mix is bound to sound way off on some sets. (hence the point of monitors - you hear exactly what you mix) But if it works for you, more power to you!

So, could you tell me why in "Abbey Road Studios" they use B&W's Nautilus? Or are they wrong too? It seems to me that one of the world's top studios should know what to use...
I advise you to see some articles on the net about mixing with the B&W. I think you will be surprised about what you will read. And if i am an amateur, i want them to listen to my music too (i think that listening to Bethoven in monitors wouldn't be very nice). For the money i get some good "monitors" (not perfect) and two great loudspeakers. If you wan't to spend more money because someone told you that if you don't have monitors you can't mix, go ahead, but at least let the people know the different oppinions, test them and then decide.
In the past (when i was a pro in radiostations - i don't know what'ts the technical name in english for the job - making spots and jingles) i used many monitors. After i tested the B&Ws i want no more monitors.
Respect my choice, and i'll respect yours.

+Quote Post
editbrain
post Thu 30 Dec 2004, 18:36
Post #36

Member No.: 30,424

the way that i see it. you have a choice. you can use hi-fi or monitors. either way.

+Quote Post
Mr.Dave
post Fri 31 Dec 2004, 12:24
Post #37

Member No.: 35,854

With reference as to what monitors to use for mixing I would like to add a bit of advice that may be useful. In my career I have had the pleasure of working with Mark (Spike) Stent in his studio based in Olympic studios in London. While there I noticed that he had the main output of his desk patchable to several different types of monitors and hi-fi systems. The monitors he had are out of reach to most of us mere mortals on account of cost, but the hi-fi he seemed to trust was a run-of-the-mill-all-in-one sony system.
My point being that I trust no one set of monitors to tell me everything I need to know about a mix and I have created a cut down version of what I observed. I would urge anyone to try it.
My studio is setup in a very small room but I have taken the time to link my desk to every other hi-fi and boom box in the house. Apart from allowing quick access to different systems it has the added benefit of helping you to change your listening environment, (small rooms get to you after a few hours).
I'm not saying that you can't create a good mix without doing this, only that it has improved the quality and consistency of my work far beyond what I would have thought possible.

All the best and a happy new year to all.

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
post Sun 2 Jan 2005, 11:24
Post #38

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 14,645

The Mackie HR-824 or the smaller HR624 are very good powered studiomonitors.
They both have wide flat frequency responses, with a very detailed sound reproduction.
Especially the bigger monitor HR-824 have been given very good reviews.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 9 Jan 2005, 16:16
Post #39

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

I have 824, but in the same league you have the Dynaudio BM6A, the Genelec 8040… all close but different. And I have a soft spot for ADAM speakers (monitoring and mastering) but they have a stratospheric high that is not suited for everyone (you are not used to hear what's going on that fast on transients up to 37 KHz).

M-audios sound really hi-fi , they are rather computer/hifi speakers sold as monitors. the Samson resolv, or the Tannoy reveal A for example are more serious.

If abbey road have Nautilus, it's because they are common on high end mastering if I remember correctly. But here we are a little over the edge don't we wink.gif laugh.gif

Note there are lot of cool monitors, the point is to find one not too flattering you relate to and KNOW it (and compatible with your wallet wink.gif Check the Event or the Yamaha for example too…

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Botaferro
post Wed 12 Jan 2005, 05:16
Post #40

Let me show you I'm not the only one...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul02/arti...b2388148a0ef337

And btw, I'm not against monitors (i also have Samsons), I'm only saying that i prefer to mix in the B&Ws. It's everything about knowing how the sound will transpose to other systems, and also a matter of taste... What i can't understand is why there are people against Hi-Fi speakers. Obviously not every speaker will do the job, but there are some that will.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 01:58
- © 440 Forums 2011