MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Monitors For A Powerbook Set Up, What kind of speakers are you using?
ourmanflinty
post Tue 9 Nov 2004, 18:18
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,982

I love my Genelec 1029's, I just wish I had the sub bass to go with them...they're just so tough, and shielded, and they just wont blow up...

--------------------
Simon Flinn
Install & Support Eng, Maintenance, Analog & Digi Electronics
Dist/Dlr background, Fast & Friendly, London & SE Based.
freelance studio support click here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scoutdavis
post Tue 9 Nov 2004, 18:31
Post #22

Member No.: 51,940

Well, after reading a posting on another forum about a guy who loved Mackie's HR 824 and went in search of monitors that sounded like them, I bought the Event TR8's. ZZounds had them for $450/pair or something like that. Then I went to Sam Ash where I got 12 months same as cash and they met the price. They're on backorder. I'll let you know what I think when I get them.

+Quote Post
Riverdog
post Tue 9 Nov 2004, 21:00
Post #23

Member No.: 38,439

Sorry Scout! I didn't realize you'd asked me a question! cool.gif

I think the model of PB you have does not allow you to output directly to your speakers...

I am using the FW410 with a 32 Channel mixer...
And i have the outs of the console going to the MKII's...

Hope this helps...

Riverdg

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kreesurgeon
post Sun 28 Nov 2004, 12:24
Post #24

Member No.: 55,739

I get a very clean sound, really good response from an old ROTEL Amp and a pair of "Sprit Absolute - 2"s

+Quote Post
CanadaRAM
post Mon 29 Nov 2004, 08:27
Post #25

Rookie

Member No.: 55,783

I'm using ESI nEar 05's (active) and am very happy with them, especially considering the price (price will vary by country) I have the ESI subwoofer as well but haven't unboxed it because it would wake up the rest of the house when I'm Maccing at night...

For Powerbooks, if you don't already have a more elaborate Firewire or USB solution, I have customers who like the stereo I/O with the Echo Indigo I/O PCMCIA card.

Thanks
Trevor
www.CanadaRAM.com
Digi002R, Tascam TM-D1000, G4 DP1.25 ProTools, P4-2.6 Cubase SX

+Quote Post
dave-g
post Fri 10 Dec 2004, 20:47
Post #26

Member No.: 46,231

I'm using a pair of Legacy Audio "Studio." They were originally designed for a recording studio but the home audio reviews loved them so now most of the units are used in hi-end home audio setups.
They aren't powered, but these little guys sure are accurate. Nice clear highs without being bright and tight bass that isn't too loose (slow), so when you're done working on your tracks you can connect them to your stereo and enjoy them.
You must have high-mass stands for these as they won't perform if they are just mounted on shelves or on top of a mixing console.
They are pretty efficient so any high quality amp will drive them, I was using a Carver CM1090 with good results.

Here's the link to the site:
http://www.legacy-audio.com/2003/studio.html

--------------------
Wave Creative Services
Christiansted, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands

+Quote Post
scoutdavis
post Sat 11 Dec 2004, 02:00
Post #27

Update on buying monitors. The event tr8s were on back order for so long, I gave up. I ordered a pair of Rokit RP8s but I just didn't feel right about them so I cancelled the order. After more listening and research I fell across a pair of Hafler trm6.1 for like $600 for the pair - I am so psyched. I should get them in the mail I'll let you all know what I think.

P.s. On listening to the Event TR8s - at Guitar Center, they just didn't seem to have a clean sound to them. There was like a constant subtle hiss. I'm a newbie to this. the salespersn didn't say anything - does anyone know if that's how they are or if maybe there was something wrong with them? It was very very subtle. But compared to the Rokit's, the latter seemed much cleaner.

+Quote Post
scoutdavis
post Sat 11 Dec 2004, 02:02
Post #28

Oops, missed your reply to me Riverdog. I have the MBOX to get the wires out to the speakers. Am waiting on my second monitor to finish setting up. I still need a couple of incidentals - monitor stands, mic stand oh and maybe sooner than later a vocal condenser mic. If anyone has any suggestions on these for price and usability, let me know!

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 11 Dec 2004, 16:03
Post #29

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

The coming ADAM Artists should be worth listening

A similiar thread has been held in the French forum a few days ago and the winners were Yamaha MSP5 and the Event TR series. Note that Alesis is badly distributed here and people are focused on the HR824 flagship (I own them too) for Mackie/Tapco so it's difficult to hear about the Tapco's or the HR626. The new Genelec 80XX are really good, the smallest one are ok by themselves, but to get the most of them you need the sub. The 2 bigger models are ok alone.

Lot's of good stuff in the middle range ! There are other low price options sill but I don't remember the names on the spot. cool.gif

Also, there's really a question of portablilty. So you'll have to cut some corners anyway.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
iShawn
post Sat 11 Dec 2004, 23:14
Post #30

Rookie

Member No.: 54,280

I'm looking for the same sort of setup for my powebook as well, but I'll be dealing with mostly live jazz recordings and other combo setups, is there a specific that you'd recommend, passive or active?

--------------------
-Shawn
Powerbook 1.5GHz G4 512RAM
Presonus Firepod | Logic Express 7.1 | Keystation 49e | 10.4.2 OS X

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 05:42
- © 440 Forums 2011