MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Monitors For A Powerbook Set Up, What kind of speakers are you using?
TKNO1
post Fri 12 Mar 2004, 07:32
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,509

Want to know what other people are using for speakers with their Powerbook. Now I am meaning quality monitors. Not "Soundsticks " or anything in that range. Please let me know.. thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PristineRec
post Fri 12 Mar 2004, 17:36
Post #2

Member No.: 33,284

My Powerbook runs my Digi002r, which monitors to a pair of Tannoy Reveal Actives. They are quality monitors and are self-amped, which keeps my rig a little simpler by not needing a separate amplifier for the monitors. They run about $700-$800.

There are lots of good monitors out there in that price range or even cheaper. I have heard good things about the Edirol monitors, or even Sony. I hope nobody out there is using the $20 speakers that came with their computer.

+Quote Post
editbrain
post Sat 13 Mar 2004, 11:08
Post #3

Member No.: 30,424

hahahaha.... you guys/gals will get a kick out of this. i am using right now to master a nu-jazz cd a pair of technics 10" 2way SB-C33, an Onkyo TX-8210, a Tascam US-122, and a homemade 1970 something 5 inch Magnavox TV speaker ran mono, and my 12" powerbook.

set the stereo mix up with the techniques.. check the compression, vocals, and bass in the mono 5 inch speaker. go straight to the lounge and drop fresh beats.

hope you get a laugh out of that one, but it works.

+Quote Post
ernene
post Sat 13 Mar 2004, 14:22
Post #4

Member No.: 30,190

check ESI, and his nEAr 05 active monitors... good q, and price...

+Quote Post
Riverdog
post Sun 14 Mar 2004, 02:54
Post #5

Member No.: 38,439

- PowerBook 12" Gigahertz
- USB Quattro Audio interface
- Event PS-5's...

Jammin...

--------------------

+Quote Post
editbrain
post Sun 14 Mar 2004, 06:17
Post #6

Member No.: 30,424

i would just getting at you can make it with what you have if you learn how your monitors and room lies. what i mean by that is if you listen and check on several systems you will get a feel for how your current setup sounds. if you can make a hot mix on what you got. then you got it, and when you get those hot monitors you will have a real tight grip on sound mixing.

as far as monitors go i like the mackies. they have serious bass presence but lack on the highs some IMO. you could get some of Industry Standard Yamaha's, but i would only recomend those for rock producers.

happy recording,
editbrain

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Mon 15 Mar 2004, 12:47
Post #7

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

I have a pair of Yamaha MSP5s. They're pretty good.

+Quote Post
td3k
post Mon 15 Mar 2004, 15:13
Post #8

Member No.: 16,354

I have a pair of Edirol MA-10D, They sound very good esp for the price. They have two inputs and two vol knobs so I am able to monitor Mbox or built in output from the mac at the same time w/ out swapping cables, (very convenient) also has optical and S/PDIF input. High end frequencies sound great on the Edirols, if you want to bump out the bass really hard you will need a sub, but for near field they are quite nice. I think it is safe to say that if I get a track sounding good on the Edirol's it usually sounds good on other systems.

Hope that helps,
TD

... did I mention, $150.00.

This post has been edited by td3k: Mon 15 Mar 2004, 15:18

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Mon 15 Mar 2004, 23:02
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

I've been using Alesis M1 Active Mk2 near field monitors. For the price they can't be beet. ($400 Pair). Superb frequency responce. I have found if you get them to thump, the final mix will have insane bass. Just get the sounds exactly the way their suposed to sound and the mix will be perfect.

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
visualmusic
post Wed 17 Mar 2004, 17:55
Post #10

Rookie

Member No.: 33,201

I'll have second what kaboombahchuck said. The Alesis M1 Mk2's are good. I have a friend that uses them. Extremely flat response and a great price. I checked his out and liked them so much that I ordered my own. I'm going the passive route and buying a separated amp, but the actives are the same as the passive....just the amp is built in.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 15:39
- © 440 Forums 2011