MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> New I-book, ibook vs powerbook
14Angel
post Thu 13 May 2004, 01:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,109

I'm just about to buy a MAC notebook and I'm still trying to decide whether to go for an ibook or a powerbook. If I were going for the Ibook. It would be the new 1.2 GHz G4 with 512MB and a superdrive.

The alternative is a 15" Powerbook, but this works out at least 600 EUR more even if I just go for an upgraded 15" Combo (512MB RAM, superdrive).

I know the backlit keyboard is nice (and also extra) but I basically seem to be paying an extra 33% for a slightly faster processor (1.33 GHz vs 1.2 GHz) and a faster type of RAM and system bus.

I know there used to be quite a difference between ibooks and powerbooks, but it seems to me (though undoubtably a newcomer to MACs) that with the recently launched models the difference has now become quite slim.

Any opinions? Should I go for an even higher RAM spec (I plan to use it for basic digital recording and as a synth/sampler/noise looper)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jofferman
post Tue 31 Aug 2004, 10:41
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 49,646

It seems lushbudget is right... that is, after plowing through tons of postings (on various forums), that seems to be the overall consensus is that an iBook isn't heavy weight enough to handle lots of samples. So, no iBook for me...

I'm now looking into a 15" PowerBook Combo vs. a 1.8 GHz PowerMac. Either way, that's stretching my budget a little - okay, a lot blink.gif

On the other hand, buying a machine that cannot handle the things I want to do would be even more expensive in the end - I'd get all frustrated and end up buying the PB or G5 anyway.

I'm slightly inclined to put off buying a laptop until those G5 PowerBooks are available. Maybe even wait for the G6 version tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 21 Oct 2024, 15:55
- © MacMusic 1997-2008