MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> What Hardware Is More Important ?
shaneblyth
post Sat 17 Jul 2004, 04:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,017

in an audio setup that is not high end wgat is the better order to buy stuff in..

an extra hard drive to use purely for the audio rather than the OS
Ram in amounts over 512megs
CPU power over 1.25GHZ G4

in otherwords would it be better to buy a G4 1.25 and wack a bit more ram in it and another HD or would it be better to go for the Pure CPU power and not worry about the extra Drive and ram over 512megs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Presto
post Mon 16 Aug 2004, 22:39
Post #2

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,984

If you're recording one or two audio tracks at a time and stacking, you can get a long way even with a G3 ibook with 512 ram on OS9 - and it's silent (very very nearly). Unless you're recording very noisy stuff, a silent computer is necessary so that probably means a laptop.

If you're just starting try using your friend's G4 ibook and get hold of an app free. Then try it out. Ah, you'll need to borrow a sound card and mics too but can't talk about that here.

If this subject were to be switched to the starting out section we could suggest more complete budget priorities, depending on what you want to do.

I've a feeling most people choose everything in the wrong order which is why your question is a good one. To me the cpu is the last thing you should choose. It really depends on what the software will require.

In my opinion a young business man just starting out would look silly with a rolls royce and torn jeans.

This post has been edited by Presto: Mon 16 Aug 2004, 23:02

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 22 Oct 2024, 23:25
- © MacMusic 1997-2008