MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> More Beginners Help, Which laptop should I buy?
cully
post Sun 18 Jul 2004, 10:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,136

I hope someone can help me because I have spent too many hours looking at too much information, and my head hurts. I am simply buying a mac laptop for my boyfriend for his birthday - he is an electronic musician and that is the reason I am buying it, it is hard for an electronic musician to make music without a good laptop! I know he likes to use Digital Performer, Reaktor, I don't think he uses Pro Tools (though I do video/film making and I would love to use Pro Tools). I've done editing on G4 desktops that had at least 1 GHz CPU, but I haven't used the slower laptops and am not sure about the difference in CPU speeds. I am on a serious budget and have these options: G4 powerbook 500 MHz pretty used or G4 ibook 800 MHz pretty new. I have almost bought the powerbook, but I am worried about all this stuff I am reading about incompatibility with audio programs, etc. I will be maxing out the RAM (the powerbook has room for 1GHz, the ibook 640 MHz I believe) and getting an external Lacie drive. That is for sure. But which computer is faster/better? I don't see any serious musicians out there with ibooks. it's always powerbooks. If you made it through this rambling post, please help!

Also, if neither of these is good enough I could always bite the bullet and find an 867 MHz powerbook.

As a side note, how can you tell whether RAM is quality when you are buying it? Do you have to watch out for anything?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 4 Aug 2024, 21:46
- © MacMusic 1997-2008