MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Is My Powerbook Obsolete?
lushbudget
post Wed 30 Jun 2004, 02:59
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,952

Hi,

I have a PowerBook G4 876Mhz Titanium that I bought in September of last year. I use it with an mbox and PTLE, as well as Reason, Live and a bunch of other audio stuff.

My question is this: With Apple releasing new software and new hardware every month, is my PowerBook too old already? Do I need to upgrade if I want to use Logic Express or any of the more powerful plugins? Or is this machine a good one that will serve me for another year or more before it needs to be replaced.

I'm seeing all these new G5's and aluminum 'Books and thinking I should've waited a little longer before I bought mine.

Whadya think?

--------------------
lushbudget productions, ltd.
www.lushbudget.com
PowerMac G5 dual 2 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb & 200Gb HD's, Apple 20" Cinema Display
PowerBook G4 Titanium 867Mhz, 1Gb RAM
Digidesign Mbox - Lacie FW 4/800/USB2 160Gb External HD
ProTools LE 6.4, Logic Express 7.0.1, Reason 2.5, Live 3, SampleTank 2, Amplitube, Arturia MiniMoog & CS-80V, Waves Musicians Bundle 4.0.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=blue][B]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
bogh
post Wed 30 Jun 2004, 11:21
Post #2

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,091

I bought my 1 Ghz Powerbook in December of last year, and in april they released a 1.33 Ghz model which was a bit cheaper and included an Airport Extreme card.
In a couple of years I'll buy a new one (hopefully a 3 Ghz G5 Powerbook blink.gif) and a few months after that, Apple will release a faster, cheaper model.
That's just the way it is with computers, but you can't wait forever. Buy a new computer when you feel that the current one doesn't do the job anymore, and then learn to live with the fact that it won't be the greatest computer in the world forever. After all, the dual 2.5 Ghz G5 will become obsolete one day also.

--------------------
electronicmusic.dk

Powerbook G4 1Ghz, 768 MB RAM, OS X 10.3.9, Motu 828 mkII, Behringer BCF2000, Oxygen8
Logic Pro 7.1, Live 4, Max/MSP 4.5, Finale 2005, NI Komplete 2, Waves Musicians 2, T-Racks, Amplitube, CamelSpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 22 Oct 2024, 03:37
- © MacMusic 1997-2008