MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Wav -> Dsp -> Components, Using DSP to take components from a .wav
tingleychris
post Sat 10 Apr 2004, 17:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,670

Hi,

I am developing an MLP Artifical Neural Network application (www.etingley.com/uni), but am now at the stage of using a DSP toolkit to remove certain traits (components) of a .wav file.

I am developing in C++ in XCode on Panther.

Can anyone suggest a decent toolkit to use that will easily allow me to give it a wav and extract numerical components?

Best Regards,
Chris Tingley
www.etingley.com/uni
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
BusError
post Mon 12 Apr 2004, 00:12
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,795

Being not only a musician, but also a developer with lots of experience in neural networks AND dsp/audio (separately, but still), I can tell you that you won't find a set of "numerical parameter" that you seek, especialy a set that is discriminant enough to feed a neural network.

Oh yeah the easy ones are, well, easy : loudness & bandwidth, and average frequency. But just "brigthness" is totaly subjective, "pitch" for simple melodies you can get "fairly good" result (assuming a clean sound without too much effects), but as you add polyphony it just collapses.
Harmonicity without accurate "pitch" is totaly out of the question.

So, not wanting to rain on your parade, but if you managed to make a program that can JUST discriminate -reliably- polyphony in a regular piece of music you'd probabaly already have patent material.

So as for picking the composer... blink.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 29 Jun 2024, 22:34
- © MacMusic 1997-2008