MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> How Do I Start Rocking In The Digital World?, a true beginner
Zooey
post Sun 7 Dec 2003, 20:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,539

Dear friends,

I have some experience with the Tascam portastudio world, but little else. What I am essentially looking to do is reproduce that kind of home studio fun on the computer (15" imac), with better sound quality and more tracks. But I am lost in the field of terms.

I have guitars and an old korg, which is midi capable (but is the kind of midi used in depeche mode's early career). What kinds of things do I need to couple these forms of equipment to my computer. I have heard of a Logic Big Box..If I buy this would I be ready to go? How do you get a mic into a computer? (is this is the realm of the break-out box?)

ideally the set up would have singing, guitar, keys and drum loops...

If this question is too far sub-par, please advise my as to any websites that can adequate me to the lingo of the digital age...really, it's all i can do to surf the web.

best,
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Esharpest
post Thu 11 Dec 2003, 16:05
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,391

I'm going through the same kind of decision-making process, looking to get started in the world of computer music and needing to get an audio/midi interface and software. Here's what I'm thinking:

1) Digidesign Mbox, about $450. Nice piece of hardware, comes with Pro Tools LE and a cut-down 'special edition' of Reason, but it acts as a software dongle: If you want to run Pro Tools, the Mbox has to be attached. So don't think of trying to do some editing on the plane without bringing your Mbox along! And, as Rickenbacker says, it's got no built-in MIDI interface, so you'll soon start running out of USB ports.

2) Mackie Spike, about $350 street price when it's released. Not out yet, will come with Tracktion, looks like very nice hardware with built-in DSP-based dynamic effects so you don't have to tax your CPU, but you'd need to invest some money in software synths or samplers because none is included in the box. And the interface supports stereo 24/96 recording over USB, unlike the others. I'm eager to see this package reviewed!

3) Tascam US-122 ($200 at audiomidi.com) and either Logic Big Box ($200-odd) or Steinberg Studio Box ($250 at 8thstreet, otherwise $300). These might give you the most bang for your buck - the Tascam looks like a nice compact portable piece of kit, and the Logic or Cubase bundles should work well. I'm leaning towards this solution, because it seems to give you a bit of everything. But I'm not sure.....

Anyone else have any ideas?

I'm staying away from the M-Audio Firewire 410 because I'm hearing so much about driver problems, and because you'd need to spend another couple of hundred dollars on software once you've bought the hardware.

Good luck....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 22 Oct 2024, 18:39
- © MacMusic 1997-2008