MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Apple introduces 20-inch iMac, Apple
_news_
post Tue 18 Nov 2003, 19:09
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

Apple introduces 20-inch iMac
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
boze
post Wed 19 Nov 2003, 05:35
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,676

hi peter-
while all the things you say are true, really my whole point is sort of missing you. i'm not saying nobody will appreciate the package, i'm just saying it's lame in principle to have a $2200 web surfing desktop system. it's the pricepoint for that feature set that i'm calling into question as well as the spirit of putting something like this together.

the analogy i'd make would be to the two wheel drive SUVs. you get your big-ass tough-looking gas-tax-loophole idiotmobile but you couldn't actually go offroad on it or tow anything or even drive in the snow. soooo what makes it different than a staionwagon again? oh right... _status!

i'd hate to even get into a discussion of what kinds of other computers you can get for $2200. your last sentence about how folks will appreciate the design despite the performance shortcomings exactly hits on the head my whole problem with apple that this 20" iMac typifies: it's a boobjob of a computer. like a tv commercial or a sitcom, the idea is the same "it won't matter that it's dippy and pointless if we can score enough clevage points".

it's hw releases like this that make me embarrassed to be a mac person. have you seen the porche commercial where the uppermiddle class guy is just gunning his cayenne in the driveway so his friend can hear how cool it sounds over the phone? that's apple all the way. consumer market, sure- but markets can be pretty gross sometimes. like walking past a bang&olufson store in the mall.

--------------------
Kit: Dual Ghz G4, Vaio 2.6ghz GRV670 notebook. Software: Reaktor, Reason, Ableton Live. Leanings: Laptop performance, jazz guitar, singing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 3 Jun 2024, 18:11
- © 440 Forums 2011