MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Basic Setup - Recommendations?
Horse Bodotes
post Thu 16 Oct 2003, 17:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,852

I have been asked to set up a basic midi/recording/editing system for my 13 yo daughter. She has a Yamaha S80 kb, and wants to go to the next step. Although we are a PC house, I am seriously thinking about getting her a used/refurb Power Mac G4 for music. She wants to make and record techno/jazz, and besides the kb she wants inputs for mics, guitar and who knows what else.

Questions: should I get her an mBox, or would I be better off getting a used Digi 001 on eBay. Or something else??? Is Pro Tools LE easy for a (reasonably computer-saavy) 13 yo to use, or will something else be easier.

Unfortunately, I am going to wind up being her IT support, so I want to keep this as simple as possible. But, I want to get her setup so she is happy with the results.
All suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

HB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jasonmaass
post Fri 17 Oct 2003, 05:24
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,831

Howdy.....I definitally recommend going with the mac, and the 001 insteadof the m-box. The m-box is great to start out but after a month or two your gonna wish you had more ins and outs, at least i did....also since your daughter wants to make music that will probably use alot of midi the 001 is perfect because it has a midi in and out. Also i have to mention Pro Tools Le works with midi absolutely wonderfully, not to mention at the very least that pro tools in my opinion is pretty much the industry standard. its absolutely great.......If you set your daughter up with a mac and lets say an 001, id have to say you are giving her the tools to create awesome music and also a platform (meaning every proffesional studio ive been to runs PRO TOOLS on a MAC) to have the basic knowledge to possibly follow up with this stuff in the future....let me know how you make out.....later
--jay--
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 20 Oct 2024, 04:35
- © MacMusic 1997-2008