MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Buying Mac Portable To Record/burn Cds, Help finding cheepest/fastest solution
derhamm
post Wed 24 Sep 2003, 16:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,364

I need a laptop to record band rehearsals with my stereo mic and burn rehearsal cds for band members afterwords quickly. I noticed 24x burners on ebay for $150 that fit in Lombard or Pismo Powerbook G3s so it seems like I could buy them all for around $500. Does anyone know if this is my best solution and/or if any other lowend/earlier mac portables (ie. Wallstreet) can support internal cd burners?

This post has been edited by derhamm: Wed 24 Sep 2003, 16:08
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
boze
post Wed 24 Sep 2003, 16:47
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,676

ack! ebay has these old G3 pbooks going for like $550 to $750!

the truth is, any laptop with usb is capable of doing this. both a soundcard and external burner can be hooked up as external usb devices. you can look for something with a built in burner, but you mentioned wanting something that burns 'quickly' and you can get much faster firewire burners for $100 if you keep an eye out.

i think your best bet as far as mac laptops go (they'll be more expensive, slower and have fewer features than pc laptops at any pricepoint but still affordable in the range you're talking about) is to get a refurb ibook like the one at this page's Special Deals section http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...cts/AppleStore/

that way you can benefit from firewire (letting you hook up a fast burner for cheap) and have a machine that's fast enough to run osx for around $750. also they'll have way more hd space than an old G3 pbook which can have as little as 6gig (that ibook has 20g). you'd also be able to put an airport card in it down the road and have a small durable modern wireless laptop to tote around for web stuff.

this is just my opinion, but i think you'll get better results with an affordable usb soundcard than you would by buying an older G3 pbook just to have something that came with a mic input. you could try to find some sort of pizmo/lombard/wallstreet but i'm not sure they're as affordable as they should be considering how old and slow they are.

just to be clear: the ebay route requires the purchase of a usb or fw soundcard because these machines don't have a mic input. but unless you're budget is really tight and you don't really want a laptop for anything but this one recording task i think a 700mhz or better ibook is the better value. keep an eye on this site if you don't know it already http://www.dealmac.com

--------------------
Kit: Dual Ghz G4, Vaio 2.6ghz GRV670 notebook. Software: Reaktor, Reason, Ableton Live. Leanings: Laptop performance, jazz guitar, singing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 20 Oct 2024, 04:37
- © MacMusic 1997-2008