MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> G4 Powerbook 17"
THE DUDE
post Thu 24 Jul 2003, 22:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,681

Hi Everyone...
First off...I would like to say that this forum is great!!!
I am a new member and definately a Mac fan. I am in the market to buy a new computer and have decided to go for Mac all the way. I am seriously considering the G4 powerbook 15" but now the 17" has intrigued me further. I know many people have a problem with its size but for me its actually a benefit having such a large screen to view when working. I will be using the PB mainly for music production..you know sampling, looping, multi-tracking...whatever. Considering I buy the G4 PB 17"...my ideal set up will consist of Logic 6 or Cubase SX running on OSX..a software sampler (Halion 2.0 or Logic EXSP)...the audio card will probably be the Digidesign M Box so I can benefit from having Pro Tools...for a midi controller I am looking at the small Oxygen 8 keyboard. Eventually I also want to get a Firewire drive strictly for the audio considering that the internal hard drive is running @ 4200 according to specs. Will I have a problem if I start with the internal drive for now. Obviously I want to be able to do both midi and audio based production together with some VST instruments and EFX. My question is...will the G4 PB 17" accomodate my demands and needs. I have heard from others that its a true workhorse and I shouldnt have a problem. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this for me possibly user experiences...pros...cons...or just good old opinions.

Much respect and thanks in advance.
PS...I will soon be running with the Mac gurus..LOL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
c.frederik
post Sun 3 Aug 2003, 07:13
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,952

I join to the people owning a 17" Powerbook G4 and use that work horse for making music.
After weeks of asking around, thinking, wondering and have sleepless nights, I finally have bought a MBox witn Pro Tools. Why??After all, because it is a goodlooking piece of equipment and many adviced me the MBox.

I have explored
1. Roland UA20 + Cubase SL / Logic
2. Aardvark USB3 + Cubase SL / Logic
3. MBox + Pro Tools LE

The best hardware -as I was told- was, the Aardvark, followed by the MBox and then the Roland UA20. All the profies I asked, pointed to Logic, then Pro Tool and then Cubase.
So the best mix should be Aardvark together with Logic...........................

OK, the MBox now stands beautifull smiling next to my Powerbook and I am reading a 600 pages of the instuctions and it will take a lot of time before I will actually be the boss of Pro Tools. So I am not so far that I can give you any advice but the demo sound great, great, great............

Mayby i am allowed to lay down another question and hope someone will and can answer;
The MBox is playing only when I use Protools. My expectation was that I can replace MBox as the soundcard for all the sounds. So if I pla f.e. a mp3 woth Itunes, the sound still comes from the internal speakers of the Powerbook.
What do I have to do?

Greetings Kees.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 21 Oct 2024, 00:41
- © MacMusic 1997-2008