MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Os X And Dp 4, good or bad?
monkeymike
post Tue 15 Jul 2003, 03:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,170

OK- I'm considering upgrading to a faster machine that runs OSX and DP4 and the newer Pro Tools Le- anyone out there gone from 9 to 10 and how do you like it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
gramps
post Tue 15 Jul 2003, 10:05
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,980

while new to mac (dual 1.25 ghz with 1.75 gb pc333 ram) and DP4 myself i do have friends that had it before both upgrades. this has been a bit of a culture shock to me coming from a paris/pc rig (still keeping it in the studio in case this doesn't work out).

freeze track is cool but...
1. in paris it takes seconds to process the track and the audio segment replaces the previous audio. in DP4 it creats an entirely new track and places it at the end of the of your mixer. while retaining the pan and volume levels the new mixer channel strip settings are at default (visually) and do not show the original settings. i don't understand why it's done this way and if you freeze multiple tracks it will surely make mixing more difficult. as of yet i have not found a way to copy the views from one track to another.

with 46 tracks and 24 plugins,
1. screen shots and clock erratic and slow. the more plugins ran the more erratic and slow it becomes. we stressed the rig to 46 tracks and 120 plugins and the screen was totally useless. even closing a window took a minute to do and any editing would take un reasonably long. i know that this is not a real world test, but i can see where doing a mix could be a real pia due to these issues.

vst usage...
1. unless they are carbonized and you have the fxpansion adaptor none of your old plugs will run. DP is suppose to add AU to the mix sometime in the future. the biggest problem here is that many soft writers are not at this time writing their plugs for this format.

Dp crashes more frequently...
1. my freinds rig used to be very stable undeer DP3 but that cannot be said about it at this moment. even doing edits will cause it to bail out.

so for the moment we're looking at Logic 6.1. but, if you scan their sites you'll find that all is not well under osx either. the only bright spot is that Logic seems to be faster in their updates and fixes. you'll also see from their site that there are a lot of Dp refugees living there.

g
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 28 Sep 2024, 03:19
- © MacMusic 1997-2008