MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Getting Started No Experience, Want to get up and running
addsup
post Wed 9 Apr 2003, 14:21
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,821

Have read a number of web sites and really am non the wiser.

Will keep it short as I know I hate reading long forum text.

Equipment : iMac G3 500 Mhz 512 RAM slot loading running OS X.2.3 & Powerbook G4 800Mhz 512Ram running OS X.2.3

Experience : Fair Keybord player ; Serious Amateur Jazz Trombonist.

Want to : Compose and Play back Big Band Jazz (20 Voices) in such a way that it sound something like the real thing, with the ability to print the individual insturment scores off for players to read.

Have Tried : Demo of Sibelius - sound output was pants ! Was told by Sibelius that I needed some means of improving on the standard Mac sounds"

Confused by : Sequencers, Samplers, Midi Interfaces etc.

Please can anyone point me in the right direction without using any jargon (or at least explain what the jargon means and what I should be trying to aim for.) I am looking for value for money and something that will expand as I improve.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
tacoboy
post Thu 10 Apr 2003, 17:52
Post #2

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,653

MONEY and SEX!

Have it or not it is what usually defines a persons life. You mentioned already owning a Powerbook 867. May I say that the little gem is your untire studio already wrapped up into a neat little package.

Unfortunately I speak too soon! Now you must acquire the right software and soundcard (presuming you already have Studio Monitors and a mixer etc.)

USB and Firewire carsds are fortunately becoming more prevelant and in-turn, cheaper! For lots on in's and out's id stick to firewire.

Now for the software advice im unfortunately going to have to be a bit biased and demand that you BUY A COPY OF LOGIC 6! angry.gif and then upgrade it with the EXS24 sofware sampler that seamlessly integrates into Logic. If you didnt already know Logic is a sequencing program that can almost do anything you throw at it. This requires reading the manual and working with it for a while (at least a month.)

With the EXS24 you can convert AKAI and Samplecell sample CD's the the native EXS format allowing for almost instant loading of samples. The array of samples is simply defined by the amount of harddrive space that you have.

As well as the EXS24 sampler get some VST plug-ins. I recommend waves (very expensive but used by top recording studios) for eq, compression reverb etc.

And finally there are the Synths that Emagic have made to also integrate with logic. Although pricey they sound awsome. Especially the ES2.

There you have it my freind! Do be put off by the number of alternatives out there and just be confident in the knowledge that your powerbook will suffice for your studio until say: Logic 10 comes out? biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 23 Oct 2024, 01:34
- © MacMusic 1997-2008