MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Getting Started No Experience, Want to get up and running
addsup
post Wed 9 Apr 2003, 14:21
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,821

Have read a number of web sites and really am non the wiser.

Will keep it short as I know I hate reading long forum text.

Equipment : iMac G3 500 Mhz 512 RAM slot loading running OS X.2.3 & Powerbook G4 800Mhz 512Ram running OS X.2.3

Experience : Fair Keybord player ; Serious Amateur Jazz Trombonist.

Want to : Compose and Play back Big Band Jazz (20 Voices) in such a way that it sound something like the real thing, with the ability to print the individual insturment scores off for players to read.

Have Tried : Demo of Sibelius - sound output was pants ! Was told by Sibelius that I needed some means of improving on the standard Mac sounds"

Confused by : Sequencers, Samplers, Midi Interfaces etc.

Please can anyone point me in the right direction without using any jargon (or at least explain what the jargon means and what I should be trying to aim for.) I am looking for value for money and something that will expand as I improve.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
rickenbacker
post Thu 10 Apr 2003, 08:59
Post #2

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,705

Hi, and welcome to MacMusic smile.gif

You're in the right forum - Getting Started - but have you read all the other posts in this section? This kind of general query has been covered many times before, so have a scout round, pick up some info and come back with specific questions - that way people can help you more.

Sequencers are basically just like expanded 4-track recorders, only with a lot more bells and whistles. Don't be afraid! You might like to think about how many tracks you want to record at once, USB or FireWire portable or rack-mounted interface, which machine you'll be using most - your G4 is the most powerful, your G3 will do OK, but don't push it. You also need score printing, but most of the big sequencing names (Cubase SX, Logic, Digital Performer etc) all do that. Finally, OS 9 or X?

Read a lot of posts and get back to us. Enjoy!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 23 Oct 2024, 01:25
- © MacMusic 1997-2008