MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Yamaha Psr-140 Keyboard & Us-144
enuenu
post Fri 20 Dec 2013, 13:42
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 123,509

I have a new iMac running OSX 10.9. I have a Tascam US-144 interface. I have managed to get this interface to work in Garageband when using electric guitar.

I have an old Yamaha PSR-140 MIDI capable synth. I have connected the PSR-140 to the interface. I see the "MIDI In" light on the interface flashing. When I play a few notes on the keyboard the light goes solid while I am playing. The signal seems to be arriving at the interface.

However I cannot get the signal to the computer. I installed a program called "MIDI Monitor" to see what was being transmitted to the computer. Not sure if I am using it correctly but it seems to show nothing. When I use garage band and create a piano track, the keyboard doesn't do anything.

There is now an app on my computer called "Audio MIDI Setup". Not sure how that was installed, I didn't install it (maybe it was always there, never seen it on my desktop before). Anyway, in this app I go to "Window > Show MIDI Window" and I see icons for "IAC Driver", "Network" and "US-144". When I click the little down arrow located under the "US-144" icon, the "MIDI out" light on the US144 interface flashes.

I double click "US-144" and it shows "US-144 Properties". Under "Ports" it shows "MIDI" and 1 connector for MIDI in and MIDI out.

I am at a loss as to why my iMac is not receiving MIDI signals from my keyboard. Maybe it is and I am doing something else wrong?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
houstonmusic
post Sat 21 Dec 2013, 17:22
Post #2

Member No.: 88,124

you're almost there.
in Audio Midi SetUp, choose 'add device' and create an image for your keyboard. you can edit its properties, but its default should work.
from the arrow icons on each of your two virtual devices, (the interface and the keyboard) draw connecting cable lines.

if you've got the real world midi cables connected correctly (out to in) you should now be able to get midi into your software.
good luck!

QUOTE (enuenu @ Fri 20 Dec 2013, 05:42) *
I have a new iMac running OSX 10.9. I have a Tascam US-144 interface. I have managed to get this interface to work in Garageband when using electric guitar.

I have an old Yamaha PSR-140 MIDI capable synth. I have connected the PSR-140 to the interface. I see the "MIDI In" light on the interface flashing. When I play a few notes on the keyboard the light goes solid while I am playing. The signal seems to be arriving at the interface.

However I cannot get the signal to the computer. I installed a program called "MIDI Monitor" to see what was being transmitted to the computer. Not sure if I am using it correctly but it seems to show nothing. When I use garage band and create a piano track, the keyboard doesn't do anything.

There is now an app on my computer called "Audio MIDI Setup". Not sure how that was installed, I didn't install it (maybe it was always there, never seen it on my desktop before). Anyway, in this app I go to "Window > Show MIDI Window" and I see icons for "IAC Driver", "Network" and "US-144". When I click the little down arrow located under the "US-144" icon, the "MIDI out" light on the US144 interface flashes.

I double click "US-144" and it shows "US-144 Properties". Under "Ports" it shows "MIDI" and 1 connector for MIDI in and MIDI out.

I am at a loss as to why my iMac is not receiving MIDI signals from my keyboard. Maybe it is and I am doing something else wrong?

This post has been edited by houstonmusic: Sat 21 Dec 2013, 17:23

+Quote Post
enuenu
post Tue 24 Dec 2013, 06:36
Post #3

Member No.: 123,509

Thanks for that but it still won't work. Check the screenshot attached. MIDI monitor still shows nothing with this setup in place, nor does Garageband. I did borrow a UM ONE Mk II MIDI to USB adaptor and that worked. However I can't see why it won't work with my interface and MIDI cables.

This post has been edited by enuenu: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 06:37
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Screen_Shot_2013_12_24_at_4.31.51_pm.png ( 505.67K ) Number of downloads: 4

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 18 Jun 2024, 15:22
- © 440 Forums 2011