MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Mac Mini Upgrade With Pro Tools 7 And Reason 4?
j_grim14
post Tue 12 Aug 2008, 16:28
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,288

Hey there folks,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a little problem I'm having. Here's my setup:

Mac Mini 1.42 GHz with 1 GB of RAM (running Tiger 10.4.9)
Pro Tools LE 7.3.1 with an Mbox 2
Reason 4

I had a feeling this setup was going to be a bit weak, but I got the Mac at a good deal from a friend who switched to an iMac. Needless to say, it can't handle more than one or two Pro Tools plug-ins, and it struggles when Reason is slaved through rewire.

My question is will the newer 2.0 GHz Intel Mac Mini (upgraded to 2 GB RAM) be able to handle up to 24 tracks with plug-ins and run rewire without crashing? I'm living in Korea for about a year to a year and a half, so I don't want to sink any money into an iMac that's gonna cost a fortune to ship back to Canada. A new Mac Mini would be the most practical option for me, if it can handle these tasks reasonably well.

Does anyone have any experience with the Intel Mac Minis?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
gdoubleyou
post Wed 13 Aug 2008, 19:08
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

I have a 1.83GHz core duo, and a 2.2GHz black Macbook.

From the comparisons I've seen Logic is the most effecient Mac DAW, CPU drain with PTLE will be 10-15% more.

The current Minis are about 25-30% more powerful than my machine.

There is also a Mini mod movement, where people are upgrading CPUs and bringing the SATA connection outside of the box for eSATA drives.

http://www.123macmini.com/

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
j_grim14
post Fri 15 Aug 2008, 06:36
Post #3

Member No.: 66,288

Cool - so do you think there would be much difference between the 1.83 GHz and the 2.0 GHz minis? I'd be able to save myself $200 if the 1.83 GHz would be sufficient. Obviously the 2.0 would be quicker, but I can't record more than 2 tracks at once, so my needs are relatively simple. Thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Welcome Guest
Contribute
Lo-Fi Version - Sun 16 Jun 2024, 14:31
- © PcMusic 1997-2007