MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> How To Use A Laptop As Another Computer Extended Desktop?, Macbook Pro Extended Desktop
LPR4VI
post Sun 16 Dec 2007, 12:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 89,659

I'm getting a macbook pro (leopard) and want to use my 3 yr old ibook g4 as an extended desktop (dual display). Is anyone having success with this, and if so, what cord/adapter are you using? huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
makaala
post Fri 21 Dec 2007, 06:53
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 68,847

This brings an interesting topic to the forum. My G5 is great but was always fond of my G4 clunky 350 mhz PCI graphics(dreadful) tower. I used it with Protools LE and discovered it was underpowered and maxed out my track capabilities early on. It was a typical bait and switch when they came out. Advertised as a 400 mhz model but then released and downgraded to 350 mhz model. (I believe it was actually a G3). In any event, I revived it recently and it serves our family as another email/web accessable computer in our music room.
It is handy when the G5 goes bad crazy and I have to search the internet for clues to fix it. I think instead of getting the next new thing, reviving our older computers should be part of our strategy for economy. I bought a matching monitor recently for 25 euros and it's a classic look. I think CRT's have something flat screens don't have.... some retro thing. So... enjoy squeezing the last bit out of your laptop. One of the definitions of excellence I like is "meeting specifications at lowest cost". I'd like to hear how other forum users use your older generation machines?
cheers.
Mak

+Quote Post
qusp74
post Sat 22 Dec 2007, 14:42
Post #3

Member No.: 92,865

QUOTE (makaala @ Fri 21 Dec 2007, 15:53) *
This brings an interesting topic to the forum. My G5 is great but was always fond of my G4 clunky 350 mhz PCI graphics(dreadful) tower. I used it with Protools LE and discovered it was underpowered and maxed out my track capabilities early on. It was a typical bait and switch when they came out. Advertised as a 400 mhz model but then released and downgraded to 350 mhz model. (I believe it was actually a G3). In any event, I revived it recently and it serves our family as another email/web accessable computer in our music room.
It is handy when the G5 goes bad crazy and I have to search the internet for clues to fix it. I think instead of getting the next new thing, reviving our older computers should be part of our strategy for economy. I bought a matching monitor recently for 25 euros and it's a classic look. I think CRT's have something flat screens don't have.... some retro thing. So... enjoy squeezing the last bit out of your laptop. One of the definitions of excellence I like is "meeting specifications at lowest cost". I'd like to hear how other forum users use your older generation machines?
cheers.
Mak

I'm using mine as a glorified jukebox, i've got an M-Audio Delta 66 hooked up to my old g4 in the living room. I couldn't install the delta in my G5 because of PCI bus issues, so when I got it; and a new RME 9632 for my studio the G4 was relegated to the living room where it is hooked up to the Home entertainment system that has the added bonus of being able to go online and order pizza when the boys get peckish. I wont go on because i'm going a bit off topic, suffice to say...for sure.... get all you can out of your old MAC but if dollars are tight and you are chasing a rainbow.... cut your losses before you waste too much time trying to save money... you know how the old adage goes 'TIME IS ...$..'. Weigh up your options and look before you leap. Just don't forget to leap. wink.gif

jeremy

This post has been edited by qusp74: Sat 22 Dec 2007, 14:44

--------------------
Jeremy Glover graphic designer and compositor extraordinair but a relative novice at audio
Mac G5 1.8DP 4gig ram .. RME Hammerfall DSP 9632 .. Behringer ADA8000 adat interface
• KRK ROKIT 6 and RP10S•Micro korg Synth/vocoder with RODE NT2-A
Logic pro 7 NI kontakt, battery FM8, Altiverb Arturia Moog modular minimoog arp2600.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 23 May 2024, 16:25
- © MacMusic 1997-2008