MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> External Hard Drive Advice
percusski
post Tue 2 Oct 2007, 23:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 95,475

First post here.
I am running Logic version 6.4 off an Ibook G4 with an extra gig of Ram. I need an external hard drive that is relatively portable to hold music samples etc thus freeing up the Mac's hard drive.It should not be slower than
7,200rpm and have firewire connectibility, I would guess a minimum of 160gb.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
lepetitmartien
post Fri 26 Oct 2007, 06:36
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

If you format, you "erase", in fact you don't erase the files but the way to find them (the tables), meaning they're gone. Now, a true erase is possible on some software but on PCs, the closest you can be of it is a round about by erase and write multiple times (there's the option).

So, if you format, you loose the data. But you can beforehand always try DataRescue to recover files, and DiskWarrior to repair the drive.

On your specific issue, I believe the drive had a problem, a go at DiskWarrior would have been a good idea… Something like a broken directory file. It happens when for some reason the drive has been disconnected the wrong way for example, especially when writing something at the same time.

Remember : always "trash" the drive, wait till it stops, then shut it down and/or disconnect it.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 11 Jun 2024, 20:57
- © MacMusic 1997-2008