MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Midi Keyboards And The Men Who Play Them..., Can midi sequencers replace them?
Ionas
post Mon 28 Oct 2002, 21:23
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,448

I have thought at some length about buying a midi keyboard, and even asked around here about which to buy, but as I was trying out Intuem the other day, I began to wonder if a midi sequencer wouldn't be enough.

What reasons are there for using midi keyboards (other than the fact that registering Intuem costs almost as much as a keyboard itself)? Is it just force of habit, or are there things I can never produce with just a sequencer?

--------------------
Ionas - iMac, Behringer Eurorack and an old, worn guitar...

'Don't judge a book by it's contents...'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
snuupy
post Sun 10 Nov 2002, 19:44
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,156

QUOTE (Levon River @ Nov 5 2002, 06:41)
We have more options and tools available to us as musicians than at any time in the history of the world. It takes a player playing to make the most of it.

Absolutely true !

As a piano-player (I can´t call myself keyboard-player, because I hate to carry the stuff around and fiddle with sounds, patches, programs etc. on stage - when all I want is TO PLAY MUSIC) I use my Synth/Digitalpiano and a Sequencer Software mostly to make playalongs for myself to practice with - in order to improve my keyboard-playing and improvisation. Sometimes I try out rhythmic/harmonic things that I want to use in arrangements for the various bands I play in.

While I was in school I started homerecording stuff on an ATARI 1040ST and a ROLAND D10 synth.
But all the time I faced two problems:

A) Either I reached a point, where I ran out of ideas and my songs remained incomplete sad.gif

B) Or I actually completed some Songs - which was even worse for me blink.gif

Here´s the reason: If I wanted to play my tunes to someone else, I simply had to press the START button. The computer did the rest. I had made myself obsolete. (Do not inhale the remaining puff of yellow smoke - and don´t step on my ashes scattered on the floor. Thank You)

So I decided long ago that editing every detail (hmmm, should that note last 47 ticks instead of 46 ?) wasn´t my kind of bag.

To return to Levon´s quote:

I´m absolutely thankful for all the possibilities of MIDI/Audio Recording - but I still prefer to PLAY !

If I had to choose between a 50.000 EURO studio complete with everything I don´t even know the names of and a STEINWAY GRAND - guess what I´d take ?

Maybe I´m a leftover from some other age...

Nevertheless - Greetings to all the fellow musicians around here

snuupy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 28 Sep 2024, 20:58
- © 440 Forums 2011