MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Configuring A Workhorse, Separate user account for Logic?
KingBarbarossa
post Mon 2 Oct 2006, 23:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,797

Hello everyone,

My question to all you tech wizards:
My computer G5 dual is being used really heavily for graphic design, communication of all sorts and... well, of course music.

I am encountering often many problems when I start Logic. Often configurations seem to be not remembered correctly, audio or midi has to be re-configured - almost every single time when I want to start any work in Logic. This is frustrating and time consuming. These things occur randomly and can never be tracked down or repeated for proper troubleshooting. (I am running numerous hardware synths, as well as plugins and a Kontakt2 in addition to Logic., I also use an Emagic mt4 midi-interface and a Presonus Firebox)

My plan is to get a new Mac Pro in a few months to move all the music production over to a seperate machine.
But in the interim, to reduce some of the problems or at least stabilize the work environment I thought it might be advantagous to make a seperate user for the music production. This way the machine could be booted without all the fonts and extra drivers etc. which are needed for graphics applications.

So my questions are:

Does it makes sense (and to what extent and why) to maybe use an extra harddrive to put the music apps on? maybe even a complete additional system installation on an extra drive?
Does separating out the music apps to a different user account on the computer help at all - will it be beneficial in attempt to gain stability for Logic etc., free system memory or even speed up certain things?
If this is advisable, how do I get a third internal harddrive into my G5 dual (i already use an external for sample libraries)?

What is your advice, how would you solve this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
KingBarbarossa
post Fri 6 Oct 2006, 04:39
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,797

so, if i understand this right then, it does not matter that i have about 300 installed fonts as long as i am running logic only which does not access these fonts and therefore the fonts are dormant and do not interfere into the system resources?

i just remember this from 5, 10, 15 years ago that you always tried to keep your system as lean as possible.

btw. i am using fonts here only as an example. you can think of all kinds of different things in the system instead...

it is just that i am looking for ways to prevent further problems in my system, trying to figure out what is wrong at the moment is probably nearly impossible, especially just through a forum because what is happening is random, i cannot repeat it, or logically narrow it down.

so, what i am doing for now is trying to get my system as clean as possible. a couple of days ago i used idefrag, which proved to be a good thing - i learned that even a mac osx system denefits from occasional defragmenting.

clearing caches etc with onyx will be the next thing i will try out. thanks for this hint.

there might be a slight issue with my presonus firebox maybe. a couple of times i had no audio and i was wondering what was going on. then i simply launched the firebox mixer and closed it again and suddenly audio was back (this is just one of the weird things i had happen).
but again, i cannot say when it is happening, i cannot repeat it on command - with such vague facts even the support team of presonus would not be able to get much of a clue.

my emagic mt4 midi interface sometimes has to be unplugged and plugged back in to work properly...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- KingBarbarossa   Configuring A Workhorse   Mon 2 Oct 2006, 23:18
- - lepetitmartien   There should be no reason the graphic app should i...   Wed 4 Oct 2006, 13:35
- - gdoubleyou   It's probably one of your 3rd party plugins. I...   Wed 4 Oct 2006, 21:04
- - Mac Daddy   gdoubleyou... where can I see examples of you Web ...   Thu 5 Oct 2006, 07:55
- - lepetitmartien   QUOTE (gdoubleyou @ Wed 4 Oct 2006, 22:04...   Thu 5 Oct 2006, 12:56
- - KingBarbarossa   Ok, a separate user account still makes sense...? ...   Thu 5 Oct 2006, 16:35
|- - lepetitmartien   QUOTE (KingBarbarossa @ Thu 5 Oct 2006, 17...   Fri 6 Oct 2006, 03:21
- - gdoubleyou   QUOTE (Mac Daddy @ Wed 4 Oct 2006, 22:55)...   Thu 5 Oct 2006, 21:40
|- - lepetitmartien   QUOTE (KingBarbarossa @ Fri 6 Oct 2006, 05...   Sun 8 Oct 2006, 02:15
|- - KingBarbarossa   thank you for the assistance! fonts: i don...   Sun 8 Oct 2006, 04:17
- - Mac Daddy   Thanks gdoubleyou... Awards for Design even.... Ve...   Fri 6 Oct 2006, 10:22
- - jimdubpram   " You'll be spanked " With a wet l...   Fri 6 Oct 2006, 12:25
- - lepetitmartien   Of course, it's the best! The irrelevant...   Sat 7 Oct 2006, 15:57
- - lepetitmartien   If a plug-in is not behaving 100% clear and it pas...   Mon 9 Oct 2006, 01:09
|- - KingBarbarossa   QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Mon 9 Oct 2006, 01...   Thu 23 Nov 2006, 06:34
- - lepetitmartien   You turned off journalling, was it because it cau...   Thu 23 Nov 2006, 09:47
- - Mac Daddy   KingBarbarossa, Sounds like you have been through ...   Fri 24 Nov 2006, 13:45
|- - KingBarbarossa   QUOTE (Mac Daddy @ Fri 24 Nov 2006, 13:45...   Sat 25 Nov 2006, 05:45
- - hanuman   Roland keyboards send sometimes a MIDI code. In ca...   Sun 26 Nov 2006, 07:15

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 19 Sep 2024, 12:09
- © MacMusic 1997-2008