MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Buying A G5- Advice Please
djanogil
post Fri 10 Mar 2006, 22:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,400

Hi,

I'm selling my dual 867 G4 mdd and will get a G5.
As I'm not swimming in dollars, I'm thinking of getting the 2X2Ghz G5, with 2 gig ram and two internal drives.
I heard that Apple are working on the next g5 with Intel chips,
do you know when they're due and if I should wait for these?

Thx

Jean
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
edge100
post Sat 11 Mar 2006, 00:50
Post #2

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,617

This is a tough one.

With computers, there's always something better coming along. The difference is, this time, you know what that "something better" is.

Do you have a lot invested in current software, and do you need to use it now? If so, the Dual Core 2.0GHz G5 would be the best bet. It will run everything you can throw at it today, and will probably be good enough for about 3 years. After that, there will surely be software it can't handle, or people will just have stopped writing new stuff for the PPC platform.

If you can wait until the new Intel PowerMacs come out (or, more likely, the Mac Pro, based on the new naming scheme), AND if you can wait for your favorite software to be ported, then I'd wait. You'll get a longer lifespan out of the Intel machine.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a lot invested in current software, and I need a new machine (upgrading from a Rev A G5 iMac). I could go with the Intel iMac, which is benchmarking at about the same speed as a 2.0 - 2.3 GHz Dual Core G5 (pretty damn fast for the money!), but I'd only be able to use Logic 7.2 and the Live Beta. NONE of my other plugs have been ported. OR, I could go with the Dual Core 2.0, which is just as fast, and is FAR more expandable, but costs slightly more (including cost of an LCD). If I go with the iMac, I can also purchase a new audio interface (no drivers for my old one, plus it sucks!), but no software. If I go with the G5, I don't get the new interface, but all my stuff works today.

Tough call!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 17 Sep 2024, 09:43
- © MacMusic 1997-2008