MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Powermac G5 2.5 Ghz Newbie, advice/tips on running pro tools LE
wreckthisplace
post Sat 17 Sep 2005, 19:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,864

hey all

just wondering if anyone can help me out.
i recently just upgraded my computer from a powerbook to a nice powermac G5 dual 2.5 ghz. 1 gig ram.

i run pro tools LE 6.9.2 on Tiger.

i was wondering if anyone has any advice on tweaking my powermac and/or pro tools to make it run the best it can. i use reason quite often along side pro tools. i am also using BFD drum module for drums. I plan on trying to use BFD along with my drummers roland v-drums in the near future.

one thing i noticed that i never expected to happen with a G5 was when i opened up my last session which was a small session with BFD drums along with some reason piano it stopped playback and told me to increase buffer size. and at one point it told me to decrease it. could this be a pro tools LE and tiger issue? maybe its still not stable?

any thoughts, suggestions and advice on any of this would be much appreciated. me being a powermac newbie i could use some from some more experienced users.

thanks so much.

cheers all.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
hahaworld
post Sun 18 Sep 2005, 05:49
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,728

Dear wreckthisplace,

Well, I quit using ProTools a while back because it seemed to be very contrary with Tiger. I use Logic and GarageBand for all my audio now. Logic isn't quite as intuitive, but once you get used to it, you won't miss ProTools. It's been my experience that Digidesign's products have started to become increasingly unfriendly to Macs.

Here are some things you can do to make your Mac run more efficiently:

Next time you restart, launch Activity Monitor and see if there's anything running from startup there that you don't need (like an old scanner utility or something). If it's on the list, it's sucking up CPU time and RAM. Get rid of it. If you don't want to get rid of it just yet, you can also launch System Preferences, go to the Accounts pane, select your account from the left-hand list, click the Login items tab, find the process you want to remove, highlight it, and click the minus sign to remove it from your startup.

Put a solid color on your desktop instead of a picture. Pictures slow things down because your Mac has to load it into RAM and constantly redraw it.

Reboot occasionally.

Defrag your hard disk with a third party utility like Drive Genius or Tech Tool Pro 4.

Get rid of the Dashboard. It sucks up the RAM. To do this, open the Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type the following:

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

Then press Return.

Then type:

killall Dock

and press Return again.

If you decide you want the Dashboard back sometime, go back to the Terminal and type the following:

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO

and press Return. Then either reboot or type:

killall Dock

and press Return again to restore the Dashboard.

Clearing your caches can make your Mac more efficient. The two main cache folders are /Library/Caches and /username/Library/Caches. Delete the contents of these folders (but not the folders themselves!) and reboot to rebuild them with fresh data.

Unmount any external drives you're not using. Only mount them when you need them.

Get rid of anything you don't use on your hard drive. You should always keep at least 10% of your hard drive free.

A lot of these chores can be done automatically, too, through utilities like Cocktail, OmniDiskSweeper, MenuMeters and Tidy Up.

I got these suggestions from Mac Addict Magazine, and my Mac runs a lot better since I took these steps. Hope this helps!

hahaworld
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 21 Oct 2024, 12:46
- © MacMusic 1997-2008