MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Getting The Right Software N Mac
janiesammut
post Sun 12 Jun 2005, 12:48
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,717

Hey guys n gals,
I need some help!!

Here's the deal, ma dad WAS going to get me a pc to do the cubasis route BUT now I have been accepted onto a music tech course which uses macs and logic.

As I want to get into music production seriously I guess now is a better time than any to pursuade ma dad to get me a mac rite biggrin.gif

I know the spec for a pc using cubasis and was set, but now I don't know what mac to get and whether to invest in pt or logic and then which version of this. so u see my dilemma blink.gif

+So that's what I ask of you.

*which is better, pt or logic? AND Which version?? (I'm workin on about an 800 budget here for a home thang goin on)

*Second of all what is the spec needed for a mac and which type works best

I have a great midi keyboard/piano, a lil mixer, a dynamic mic and, that's about it.

I am very serious about this, even though I am aware of the extra hardware needed for macs.

Which leads me to my final question.

*What is all the hardware needed and what are the best ones?? (please give me a range if poss where money is not an object i.e sound cards etc)

The type of music I am working on is RnB/Soul and some hip hop aswell as classical and whatever else the course throws at me.

I'll be using the midi keyboard a lot and using a dynamic mic for vocal input (being a singer and all biggrin.gif )

So, that is me, thank you for reading

(hope someone replys) unsure.gif

Bless

Jane
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
B3 Basher
post Thu 16 Jun 2005, 13:25
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,008

QUOTE (janiesammut @ Jun 12 2005, 11:48)
Hey guys n gals,
                      I need some help!!

*which is better, pt or logic? AND Which version?? (I'm workin on about an 800 budget here for a home thang goin on)

If you want to 'groove' then the capabilities of Logic outstrip ProTools - Their simplistic yet effective quantize options make the most of your ideas. It's understated Loop Utility allows you to rip your favourite beats and import them into your sequences (Just Like ReCycle on your PC). The budget would be stretched for either platform.

*Second of all what is the spec needed for a mac and which type works best

I'd stay clear of the new IMac range as the 'all in one' screen/computer/fan/hard drive means that it has to blow hard to get rid of all that heat from an overworked processor. Consequently, vocal takes anywhere near an I-Mac will suffering the whine of their noisy fans. Get a PowerMac and hide it away from your microphones.

I have a great midi keyboard/piano, a lil mixer, a dynamic mic and, that's about it.

Then you'll need an Audio Interface and Monitors. Read the other threads here to make up your mind. Make sure you have separate headphone and monitor controls. USB interfaces are just as capable as Firewire for a small set up like your own.

*What is all the hardware needed and what are the best ones?? (please give me a range if poss where money is not an object i.e sound cards etc). The type of music I am working on is RnB/Soul and some hip hop aswell as classical and whatever else the course throws at me.

See above - But you should be considering Plug-Ins - If you get Logic 7 you have enough to go with except limited Orchestral samples - There are many options there, with new sample sets coming out monthly.

Good Luck with your career.

This post has been edited by B3 Basher: Thu 16 Jun 2005, 13:27

--------------------
________________--==:: Watch The Skies ::==--________________
- DVD soundtracking <> Scoring <> Composition <> Production <> ReMixing -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 22 Oct 2024, 18:42
- © MacMusic 1997-2008