MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Osx & Virus Protection???
don says mac
post Wed 27 Oct 2004, 19:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,510

Just wondering who all uses 3rd party virus protection software... the two years i've have my mac i have had no protection and no viruses... am i just being naive? my only line of protection is having two hardrives: one as my boot/application drive and the other for all my music...

just looking to see what other people have...

.d.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
lepetitmartien
post Fri 29 Oct 2004, 02:31
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

(I'm going to repat myself a little…)

You can scan all you want to, there's none! laugh.gif

Now we have had viruses previously on pre-OS X systems, but most of them were "jokes" and less of a dozen really baddies. I've met only 3 times viruses on mac and they were benign (OS < 9). On OS X at this moment we have had case studies of a worm, and 2 trojans. the worm was a case study made to prove a security point, first trojan was suspiscious as for its origin (a guy on P2P downloading a fake Office installer of a few hundred KB telling a macworls journalist telling M$ and Intego…)(intego did also quite a job at the paranoia department for the worm). last trojan is a rootkit, that is a shell script, running in command line, that you must physically install with at least admin privileges… Not exactly what you'd call something spreading easily and really nasty (in fact is a common admin tool in Unix). No adware, no spyware.

So, keep an eye open, don't throw away $$$ right now, save if you're using Office (there's stlll the macro viruses around, ask M$) but you can use alternatives like Open Office (free and no macro virus).

But use your ipfw firewall! it's a good thing. (not for viruses, but for basic security regarding access to your computer). Don't log as root (usually you don't need to) especially if connected to the net. And don't give away your login/password as admin. Final.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 9 Oct 2024, 14:27
- © MacMusic 1997-2008