MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> 12" Or 15" Powerbook
zakary
post Wed 27 Oct 2004, 12:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,711

Hi everyone,
i'm new in the forum and a prospective powerbook user, my dilemma is the 12" or 15" powerbook?

I am aware of the differences (the 15" has more screen res, 1Gb ethernet, up to 2Gb of ram, pcmcia slot, 800 firewire)

The only reason i would prefer the 15" is the pcmcia slot since i already own the exellent RME multiface card, the other options do not tempt me that much, since i can still use an external monitor with the 12" at any resolution.

If i get the 12" (with 1.25Gb ram) would i be able to use the MOTU 828 (mkI), in the specs of the card i read that the connection is with standard 1394 FireWire.

Has anyone tried this with the 12" powerbook ?

thanks in advance
zak
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
zakary
post Thu 28 Oct 2004, 10:29
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,711

The only way i can connect my RME Multiface Hammerfall is via a pcmcia slot, and this can be done only on the 15" 1.3Ghz powerbooks & 17", the 12" 1.3Ghz hasn't got a pcmcia slot, so if i was to get the 12" 1.3Ghz i'd have to replace the RME.

The RME is an excellent pro card, crystal clear sound (8 analog i/o, digital i/o, adat, etc) lowest latency i've ever experienced, even my 1.2Ghz pentium III runs smooth with this card, no clicks, 0 latency, only when i use processor heavy plugins i get some problems but they are due to to my crappy pc. So one reason to replace the RME is the pcmcia slot if i go for the 12" 1.3Ghz. I got this card to bring down the latency and have a clear sound, aslo to be used with an external mixing desk and external effects, my work flow is now changing and i need as little as possible external stuff.

The Motu 828 has some features that i could use which are not found on the RME, for example the mic preamps (now if i want to record a guitar or vocals i have to use my mackie desk->rme->pc) also the master volume & headphone knob (these volumes are controlled via the software mixer of the RME which is not handy some times)

The ibooks seem great, i am aware of the shell patch that enables the use of dual monitors but in forums i've seen many problems and i'll definately be using the dual monitor support many times, also the powerbooks seem slightly better in performance, so if i was to get the 12" powerbook (firewire audio interface - Motu 828 & firewire external hard) would i be running smooth ? If i was to go for the 15" i'd keep my RME.

Any experiences with the above possible configurations ?

thanks
zak
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 24 Sep 2024, 17:28
- © MacMusic 1997-2008