MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> New I-book, ibook vs powerbook
14Angel
post Thu 13 May 2004, 01:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,109

I'm just about to buy a MAC notebook and I'm still trying to decide whether to go for an ibook or a powerbook. If I were going for the Ibook. It would be the new 1.2 GHz G4 with 512MB and a superdrive.

The alternative is a 15" Powerbook, but this works out at least 600 EUR more even if I just go for an upgraded 15" Combo (512MB RAM, superdrive).

I know the backlit keyboard is nice (and also extra) but I basically seem to be paying an extra 33% for a slightly faster processor (1.33 GHz vs 1.2 GHz) and a faster type of RAM and system bus.

I know there used to be quite a difference between ibooks and powerbooks, but it seems to me (though undoubtably a newcomer to MACs) that with the recently launched models the difference has now become quite slim.

Any opinions? Should I go for an even higher RAM spec (I plan to use it for basic digital recording and as a synth/sampler/noise looper)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
lushbudget
post Sun 26 Sep 2004, 21:42
Post #2

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,952

Assuming that your iBook is a G4 model you should be able to do most of the things you've described w/out too much trouble. You won't notice much difference in overall performance compared to your DP500Mhz G4 - the iBook should run at an almost even performance level depending on how goosed your PowerMac is.

$900 for 1Ghz iBook G4 is a decent price. Apple sells the same machine REFURBISHED for $849. They have other good deals, so check 'em out! A used FireWire 410 or similar device will run another $250-400 or you could buy a USB device like M-Audiophile or Digidesign MBox -

Your FW Hard Drive will be neccessary, so remember that iBooks and 12" PBook's only have 1 FW port! A hub is NOT recommended for recording, and USB 2 drives have been reported as having compatibilty issues with some software (ProTools LE for one) A 15 or 17" PBook comes with 2 FW prts (400 & 800) so you could run both a FW Drive (a FW400 drive can be adapted to the 800 port) and a FW Interface.

Another option would be a PC card audio interface - (only the 15 and 17" models again) There are some good ones out there, but they are usually line-level input only.

My vote would be for a used or refurbished 15" PowerBook with a 40Gb iPod and an Mbox (USB) But that is just me (and is exactly what I use for my mobile rig)

This post has been edited by lushbudget: Sun 26 Sep 2004, 21:47

--------------------
lushbudget productions, ltd.
www.lushbudget.com
PowerMac G5 dual 2 Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb & 200Gb HD's, Apple 20" Cinema Display
PowerBook G4 Titanium 867Mhz, 1Gb RAM
Digidesign Mbox - Lacie FW 4/800/USB2 160Gb External HD
ProTools LE 6.4, Logic Express 7.0.1, Reason 2.5, Live 3, SampleTank 2, Amplitube, Arturia MiniMoog & CS-80V, Waves Musicians Bundle 4.0.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=blue][B]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 21 Oct 2024, 22:12
- © MacMusic 1997-2008