MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Help With Osx 10.2.4 And Midi Set-up, Can't set up MIDI keyboard with software
parente
post Mon 7 Apr 2003, 09:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,874

It's been 3 years since I've set-up my music software and it seems like 100. The fog is starting to clear a little... but not much.

I recently bought a Mac G4 1Gh, 768 ram running OS 10.2.4 to compose and record more of my own material which I used to use a tangerine iMac for. I spent the day (all day) trying to use a FastLane USB interface with my Casio CTK-540 MIDI keyboard along with Bitheadz Unity DS-1 2.1 sampler software. I've used all of this equipment and software before. I'm not new to a Mac, but am new to Mac OSX and no matter what I try, I can't get this system work.

I tried downloading from MOTU's website the most recent FastLane drivers for both OS9 and OSX and installed both of them. If I start up Audio MIDI from OSX, it sees the Fastlane but not Unity DS-1. If I start-up OS9 and open FreeMidi, it sees Unity DS-1 but not FastLane. I tried loading Performer 6 and the installer program gave me an error screen saying it couldn't find the CD.

I downloaded Pro Tools Free and Musy software hoping to make some progress and see what current sequencing software was like. Along with these downloads came OMS, which I installed to see if it would help make the MIDI connections. Nothing seems to work.

I can start-up Unity DS1 by itself and access the sound banks directly using the onscreen virtual keyboard, but that's about it. Can anyone tell if I'm doing something wrong, or do I need to buy all new eqipment and software? This is really frustrating blink.gif

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Levon River
post Mon 7 Apr 2003, 15:07
Post #2

Member No.: 6,734

Steve: I feel yer pain. sad.gif smile.gif

Not having the same combination of hardware/software that you're wrestling with, I can't get right down to the nuts & bolts on all you described, but I'll start with some basic suggestions:

OS X:

1) I don't think Unity 1.2.1 works with OS X. Contact Bitheadz about upgrading. That should solve the fundamental problem with Unity in X (but not the congenital problems in Unity itself biggrin.gif ). Seriously, I'd start looking at alternatives for sampling growth in OS X if I were you. There are some very attractive ones either freshly out, or just on the horizon. (Reason's NN-XT runs rings around Unity in my book. MOTU is promising MachFive, which looks mighty impressive.)

2) There are a lot of MIDI freeware and shareware programs for X that you could use to test out yer Fastlane/hardware setup. I had a USB Fastlane connected in X for a brief period and had no problems with it at all. Go to VersionTracker for OS X and search on MIDI and have fun (till you can get yer Unity upgrade).

OS 9

I haven't booted into 9 in months, so am *very* rusty in that area, but...

1) Get the latest version of FreeMIDI if you're using a FastLane in 9.

2) If you have to use OMS, brush up on what you have to set in there to get a MOTU interface working with it. I still wake up screaming from nightmares about OMS. laugh.gif

One thing I will say: trying to straddle two operating systems--in *any* field--is hell enough; in the field of music and audio, I'd rather juggle rattlesnakes.

OS X is the future. My advice would be to settle on a good set of programs for X, start building yer music machine in that, give OMS/FreeMIDI a burial in the back yard, and don't mark the spot.

Keep in touch, and good luck...

+Quote Post
parente
post Mon 7 Apr 2003, 20:15
Post #3

smile.gif Thank you Levon!

I was hoping that my original set of software would work, but I am quickly seeing that there have been some very big changes in the computer music field in the last 3 years, especially with OSX. The only reason that OS9 is starting up in the first place is because of the older software.

The music that I'm composing is instrumental electronic ambient/new age and soundtrack oriented. My goal is to stay completely digital and use only a my Mac with a midi keyboard, (for now). I'd really like to find an all-in-one solution for the G4, combining midi sequencing, sampler, importing of sound files and output to CD, (if there is anything like this available). And of course this would all work flawlessly rolleyes.gif

I'll take a look at "Reason" and "MachFive" and other OSX solutions.

Thanks again for your suggestions and input... I guess I should stop beating a dead horse (or juggling rattlesnakes) and move on into the future of OSX.

Steve

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Tue 8 Apr 2003, 01:05
Post #4

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (parente @ Apr 7 2003, 13:15)
The music that I'm composing is instrumental electronic ambient/new age and soundtrack oriented. My goal is to stay completely digital and use only a my Mac with a midi keyboard, (for now). I'd really like to find an all-in-one solution for the G4, combining midi sequencing, sampler, importing of sound files and output to CD, (if there is anything like this available). And of course this would all work flawlessly rolleyes.gif

I'll take a look at "Reason" and "MachFive" and other OSX solutions.

From what you describe you want to do, I don't think you can hardly do better for a "git up and git" program than Reason. It's streaks right down the electronic ambient/new age pike with its included synths, samplers, sequencers and beat boxes.

Of course, with the right sampler sounds loaded, you can also do anything from bluegrass to classical.

Reason's main limitation is no audio recording capabilities, though its MIDI editor also leaves something to be desired. (You can get there with it, but it may require a few layovers.)

For audio recording, plus more MIDI manipulation manglers, your options are substantial and growing (finally!). One very inexpensive way to get started with a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) is Metro's SE version--$59 bucks for audio recording/playback plus an excellent MIDI editor:

http://www.sagantech.biz/metro/products.shtml

Metro doesn't work with Reason yet, but is promised to in a free upgrade.

Of course Digital Performer 4 has just (finally!) been released and it promises to be a real powerhouse, plus it supports Rewire 2, so you can use it to drive Reason and as many of Reason's built-in synths and samplers as your RAM and processor will bear. That should make for a very potent and heady mix.

Then there's Logic, and this board has more Logic disciples than my dawg has fleas, so I'm sure one or more can provide a persuasive sermon for conversion--though this lost heathen steadfastly refuses to dangle the dongle.

The options, though, are finally opening up a bit after a very long, very painful dry spell in OS X. There may be hope yet. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
parente
post Thu 10 Apr 2003, 16:58
Post #5

smile.gif Thanks Levon,

I deinstalled the OMS drivers and software, and downloaded Metro's SE demo version and tried it out. Very good for the price! My midi connections worked using Mac OS Audio Midi and the latest driver from MOTU for the FastLane midi interface!

I've been reviewing Reason, Digital Performer 4, and Logic software. Reason looks very "Reasonable". I'll have to decide soon so I can get started.

Thanks again,

Steve

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 22 Oct 2024, 00:37
- © MacMusic 1997-2008