MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Audio Interface For Playback Only?, Desparately looking for good quality output from my MBP
newtown1
post Sat 7 Oct 2006, 07:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 83,940

Hi all - I've been hovering around here fo a while going through the forums, however this is my first post.

My difficulty is trying to find an excellent audio interface for playback only. My prior computer was a Sony Vaio laptop which I was getting fantastic quality from. (it came with a dedicated audio visual dock with RCA's - which seemed to be quite good in hindsight). I have recently decided to take the Mac plunge, and purchased a 17" Macbook Pro. Fantastic laptop - however the audio is concerning me a little. I always presumed that the minijack would be average at best (which it was), so I purchased a Behringer UCA 202 audio interface (seemed basic - but had all that i needed. ie: usb to laptop and rca's out). I just wasn't at all happy with the sound, so I a/b'd it against the VAIO and there was a huge difference.

So now I realise that I will obviously have to spend quite a bit more on something with a better D/A converter. My dilemma though is that I'm not sure what to look at. Most products that appear to offer higher quality all seem to be pitched specifically at musicians with lots of Midi, mic & guitar ins/outs. All I need though is something that simply has a good D/A converter with RCA output!

That being said - I realise that I probably will have to buy something with extra ins/outs that I won't use, simply to get the better D/A converter. However I don't have any idea of how far to go before I am just paying more money just for extra in's/outs (ie: what product is at a good pricepoint for the simple need that I have). I have been looking at the Presonus Inspire, particularly given it's big brother the Firefox seems to get great reviews. But is it possibly worth my while looking at some other more expensive products?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm well out of my depth here blink.gif

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
grassbro
post Sun 8 Oct 2006, 11:10
Post #2

Member No.: 69,663

hi. you may be missing the fact that the mac books all have optical digital out. and the built in card is 24/96. so, if you have good speakers, all you need is good cables! even a simple mini-jack to rca will be better than the usb you have.

+Quote Post
newtown1
post Sun 8 Oct 2006, 11:35
Post #3

Member No.: 83,940

QUOTE (grassbro @ Sun 8 Oct 2006, 20:10) *
hi. you may be missing the fact that the mac books all have optical digital out. and the built in card is 24/96. so, if you have good speakers, all you need is good cables! even a simple mini-jack to rca will be better than the usb you have.

Thanks Grassbro - although already tried that. Using a mini jack to rca was noticeably worse than the cheap Behringer that I have. I do have an excellent pair of speakers - Epos M22 tri-wirable floorstanders paired with a Cyrus 8vs amp, and the minijack is certainly shown up on them. Regarding the optical digital out - I don't have a digital input on my amp, so I'm not sure that's worth pursuing? Especially when I know the quality of sound I have been able to get via RCA's on my Sony - then surely it can't be that much harder to get the same or better sound from the Mac connected through the right equipment?

Anyone got any ideas? - surely there's lots of other people who have the need to output in better quality to some good audio equipment?

+Quote Post
Jim Hoyland
post Sun 8 Oct 2006, 12:56
Post #4

Member No.: 81,499

If money is no object, there's the Apogee mini DAC:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minidac.php

although this outputs on balanced XLR.

The Focusrite Saffire LE gives you ins and outs on balanced jack (1/4 inch):

http://www.focusrite.com/product/saffire_le/

Both of these are pretty price-y and high quality and come highly recommended.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/commercialmusicstudios

+Quote Post
grassbro
post Mon 9 Oct 2006, 18:26
Post #5

Member No.: 69,663

hi again
for playback only, and not that expensive, I'd say the Presonus Ispire (listed at US$180) should sound great.
I have the Firebox (sounds realy great) witch is the same plus midi and digital out, that you don't neet.
And you'd have the 2 ins... (just in case you want record or input a mic or 2)
check it out

This post has been edited by grassbro: Mon 9 Oct 2006, 18:29

+Quote Post
emgcarra
post Mon 9 Oct 2006, 23:08
Post #6

Member No.: 65,694

To me, "excellent output quality" always means: a lot of money...!! You´ll need to think about your financial threshold.... Good luck !!
tongue.gif

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Tue 10 Oct 2006, 04:59
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

I'm actually kinda surprised to hear that your mini jack sounds bad. I just did a gig the other day & used the mini jack out to 1/4" adapters & it sounded pretty good, actually & I have a 2 year old G4 power book. I did, however, spend 10 to 12 bucks on "Live Wire" mini jack to 1/4" (as well as mini jack to RCA, which also sound pretty good. Here's another thing though...... With both cables out of my mini jack I always went into a mixer first, which probably converted the unbalanced output to a balanced signal before going to the speakers. Before you spend a bunch of money, try taking your macbook to a friend with a mixer & see if your sound improves. You may be able to get away with just buying a crappy little 40 dollar Behringer mixer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 11 Oct 2024, 19:28
- © MacMusic 1997-2008