MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Vst, Tdm, All Of These Plugins!, Just how much can you integrate?
iShawn
post Thu 4 Nov 2004, 02:26
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 54,280

Well...this has been on my mind...and maybe a sticky for beginners like me into this digital realm.
I would like to know what the comparison is, if any, of the different audio plugins there are. I know ProTools uses TDM (correct?) and a lot of other programs use VST...now I assume if you buy a 'VST package software' that means it's plugins that will work with whatever software supports VST plugins...correct?

What is the difference between VST virtual instruments and VST plugins?

What are 'virtual instruments?'

Do VST's (or any plugin setup) allow the useage of digital signals (that have been processed by an AD converter) and MIDI signals as well? I know a lot of products like the Firepod I'm eyeing on has MIDI in and out on it, so I assume it will be able to send that to the program, but I didn't know what I needed (for I'd like to mess with a B3 emulator on a MIDI keyboard).

Can you take something from ACID (since I have that already to mess around on with sampling beats...for...well I just get bored sometimes) and put it into other programs (Or any program other than ACID for that example)? How about GarageBand's stuff?...I wouldn't want to record on it...but I could get bored and create a sample of something and add a real-time guitar to it.

As always. Thanks.

--------------------
-Shawn
Powerbook 1.5GHz G4 512RAM
Presonus Firepod | Logic Express 7.1 | Keystation 49e | 10.4.2 OS X
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
igor
post Tue 30 Nov 2004, 20:56
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 32

hi,
a VST plugIn is generally an Effect like Reverb,Chorus, delay ...
a VST instrument is a musical instrument who can produce a sound while playing on a Keyboard.

So, A VST Instrument can be pluged into a VST PlugIn ! smile.gif

Ok ?

--------------------

ZgOgOr

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 1 Dec 2004, 02:42
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

VST is steinberg format cubase, nuendo and other companies software (NOT in PT, DP, Logic…)
AU is the mac OS X system format (in fact APIs about audio I/O) supported by most apps.
AS and RTAS are Protools
TDM is the DSP driven Protools format
MAS is Motu DP

Note that some adaptors are available to make VSTs available in DP or Logic (VSTtoAU)

After that they can be treatment plug-ins or instruments… And when a software support a format it's supposed to run any plug-in/format in this format

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 22 Oct 2024, 09:23
- © MacMusic 1997-2008