MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Pro-tools Vs. Logic, best option for price vs functionality?
angryman
post Tue 28 Sep 2004, 08:23
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,084

I am planning on upgrading my home system with either Pro-tools or Logic but I want to know what the best option is. (Yeah, I mean value for money!)

I know you can get Pro-tools with an Audio Interface called Mbox for around £350... Logic is way more money but is it worth the extra cash?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
PhilTrueman
post Tue 28 Sep 2004, 13:24
Post #2

Member No.: 5,388

Greetings Angryman,

Having used both - or rather, having paid for both. As much as I love ProTools I think Logic is better value for money - although it depends what you're trying to do.
With ProTools you have to buy an Mbox at the very least and then the software itself - after that - any plug-in is really expensive. A lot of the ProTools plug-ins cost as much as Logic to buy.

As for Logic - it will use nearly any hardware and once you've bought the software, there really is nothing else to buy - if you do decide to increase your plug-in collection - it's just audio units and they are reasonably priced.

This whole picture may change now that Digidesign have bought M-Audio. It was that way round wasn't it? Imagine - ProTools running on an AudioPhile card! Heh heh.

Anyway - not the answer you probably wanted - but heigh ho.

Cheers

PT

+Quote Post
Jean Christophe ...
post Tue 28 Sep 2004, 14:00
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 42,194

protools is the best to record audio and mix , this software is a reference in the world of audio pro .
Logic is good to work wirh midi and virtual instrument .
Mbox have only two input ( mic/ line / instrument / spdif)
so protools is very simple and convivial and logic is more difficult with it environment .

--------------------
visitez ma page myspace si le coeur vous en dit www.myspace.com/jcsabatier

+Quote Post
angryman
post Tue 28 Sep 2004, 14:21
Post #4

Member No.: 48,084

Thanks for your help. I mainly need a recording interface to record live instruments, decks and vocals etc. (Plus use Reason as a slave for beats and stuff) I just need a snazzy Mac based 4trak really. It sounds like Pro-tools is the best bet for me. I cant justify the extra cash for Logic when all the extras you appear to get are some fancy virtual instruments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jimp
post Tue 28 Sep 2004, 15:08
Post #5

Member No.: 52,004

QUOTE (soundchild6969 @ Sep 28 2004, 13:00)
protools is the best  to record audio and mix , this software is a reference in the world of audio pro  .

hey Angryman. My fist post too.
soundchild6969, It sounds like Angryman is talking about Protools LE not Protools TDM correct me if I'm wrong Angryman ! PhilTrueman is on the money. There are plenty of great audio interfaces around now which give you latency free monitoring options, like protools LE. I would have to say that LogicPro caters more towards people who don't have $20k to spend on a Tools rig.
It offers a comprehensive platform with with everything you need, provided you have a fast Mac. Protools LE doesn't come with such a wide array of instruments and tools for composing. Not to mention a really CPU efficient softsampler and a badass IR verb.
Having said that, if you have all your front end, monitoring and the like already and you still have $20 grand to throw at a Tools rig there is no question that Protools is the Paragon of DAW's. It's made by ther best for the best and it costs the most blink.gif
Also, if you are working with someone who uses protools or you collaborate with someone in a studio with an HD Tools rig you may want to look at getting pro tools le for compatability reasons.

+Quote Post
jimp
post Tue 28 Sep 2004, 15:13
Post #6

Member No.: 52,004

Ahh you posted whilst I was posting. Angryman, thought you were a musician.
blink.gif
4 Track on a Mac ? ..Go Protools
wink.gif

p.s I'll leave the previous post for posterity...
rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by jimp: Tue 28 Sep 2004, 15:18

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 23 Oct 2024, 00:24
- © MacMusic 1997-2008