MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Buying A Mac Second Hand, Want a bit of help looking for a Mac
adolf500x
post Mon 2 Jun 2003, 04:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,345

Hi there
Looking for a second hand mac and was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of what i could expect for £1000? Also What does duel 1gz mean.Does that mean two 500 processor to make 1gz or there is two 1gz processors in the machine to make a 2gz machine?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Doug
post Tue 3 Jun 2003, 11:15
Post #2

Member No.: 10,393

A 1 Ghz machine means there is a 1000Mhz processor on board. A twin Ghz machine means there are two 1000Mhz processors on board. The machine is not strictly 2 GHz but divides the data processing tasks (if you're on OSX) between two 1 Ghz processors.
You said £1000 ... I assume you're from the UK (as I am), the good guys in the US - who tend to help most on this list - maybe a bit out of touch with the UK secondhand market ..thats why I'm replying.

I suggest you buy either Macworld or Mac User magazines and look at the small adds at the back. Consider companies such as: Clocktower (01279 771 038) or Second Chance PC (01223 833 412). But watch the sales patter, if you're looking at a 1 Ghz machine don't go to the 2nd hand market, you can buy 1Ghz G4 for just less than £1000 GBP, but you'll need a monitor and the software, add £800 BGP !!
If you're total budget is 1k GBP then go to an eMac 800mhz for £850 all in, + software.
A 2ndhand Mac will likely have a slower bus speed, less older/slower RAM and if more than 2 years old will groan with OSX.2 !!
Remember you'll also need other gear: a keyboard, sound module, midi interface card etc., in addition to your chosen software. If the total budget for everything is £1K GBP send me an email and I'll help directly.

+Quote Post
cathode
post Tue 3 Jun 2003, 12:48
Post #3

Member No.: 16,027

Dual 1 gig implies two 1 gig processors in the machine.
However, the machine is not running at 2 gig exactly.
The processors share the load but the system bus is a single bus so the math is multiplexed between each processor.
It is still far faster than a PC running @ 2gig.
If you are considering the dual (mirror drive door) machines, be prepared for noisy fans.
Hence the nickname "leafblower" unsure.gif

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Wed 4 Jun 2003, 10:01
Post #4

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

I think the "leafblower" effect is exaggerated. I have a dual 1GHz MDD and yes it's louder than my iBook, but still not as deafening as I'd been led to believe. Only very occasionally do the fans actually spin up to full rotation and even then it's not the end of the world. I don't run screaming from the room or anything.

Anyway, I've ordered the fan/CPU replacement kit from Apple (which costs something minimal like $15) which apparently solves the problem. So don't fret about fan noise with an MDD (Mirrored Drive Door) dual processor Mac. smile.gif

+Quote Post
cathode
post Thu 5 Jun 2003, 05:19
Post #5

Member No.: 16,027

Rick,
I have one too and I did the fan power supply kit exchange $20.00 BTW.
It is indeed quieter but the fan is kind of rumbly.
I'm going to replace the fans with high end ball bearing fans.
That should take care of the rumbles.
I'm tempted by the Verax kits too.
Kills me to pay so much for a machine and then have to pay to make things right!
Lots of bugs have been fixed in OSX but there are more and more to come as well.
Still, I've been doing music on Macs and Pro Tools since Sound Tools and the FX-II.
I dont do big macs but I do do BIG, macs.

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Thu 5 Jun 2003, 10:47
Post #6

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

Cathode: well, I haven't actually had my fan replacement kit yet, so I was only going by reports on the g4noise.com website. General vibe: thumbs up. I know what you mean about paying for a computer then paying to refine it, though. angry.gif

My PowerMac is still a brilliant piece of kit, though. No complaints from me.

+Quote Post
benny_ill
post Thu 5 Jun 2003, 11:50
Post #7

Member No.: 13,660

i got the kit. its ok. cathode, "high end ball bearing fans"? the 120mm fan that you got as replacement is the best out there. Papst fans are the quietest aroud. if you do find a quieter one lemme know! know what you mean though - the rumbling can get on your nerves. and if you intend to use OS9 like i do, be prepared to either shell out on the bose noise cancelling headphones or turn the amp way the fuck UP, as the fan speed regulation under OS9 is a joke - fan speed is up and down, up and down all the time, so you can never ignore it. im seriously considering shelling out for the Verax kit, but $109 for two 60mm fans??? apple peeps always have to shell out more...

+Quote Post
adolf500x
post Tue 10 Jun 2003, 02:22
Post #8

Member No.: 6,345

Thanx Doug biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 19 Oct 2024, 20:52
- © MacMusic 1997-2008