MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Any Thoughts on Digital Performer, Considering Digital Performer. Any comments?
FlixKid
post Wed 19 Sep 2001, 00:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,801

I am considering getting into a non-linear digital audio editing environment. The sales person that I spoke with recommended Digital Performer from MOTU as a top recommendation. He made this recommendation despite the fact that he uses Cubase. His Mac is too old to run DP 3, so he has to make do with his Win machine. One of our main concerns is that the software will be very good for video production. He said that in his experience it was very good. He did not recommend ProTools, because he personally doesn't like the proprietary aspect of it. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. If you own DP (especially if it's version 3) could you let me know what you like or don't like.

I will be running it on a G4 tower with 700MB of RAM. What monitor size would you recommend. I am considering a 17'.

Thanks in advanced for the insights.

--------------------
FlixKid
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
DigitMus
post Wed 19 Sep 2001, 08:29
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 658

I would say it depends on what hardware you plan to use. If you're going to go with the MOTU stuff, definitely use Digital Performer. I only have the MOTU 828 with Audio Desk (DP without the MIDI), for use with my iBook, so I'm not really the one to advise you. Try the pro forums at www.musicplayer.com and do a search for Digital Performer - particularly on Craig Anderton's, Roger Nichols' & David Frangioni's forums. If you still need information after viewing the search results, post a question in ONE of the forums (not all) and you're sure to get an earfull from a lot of pros & semi-pros, and probably a few near-beginners as well.
Scott

+Quote Post
kryngle
post Fri 21 Sep 2001, 09:50
Post #3

Member No.: 1,388

I've got dp 2.7, and I absolutely love it!!!!! I'm going to upgrade to dp3, but I don't want to do it until I finish the current project that I'm working on. I use a MOTU 2408, and a G4 mac with 512 megs of ram.... and my largest song at the moment has 37 audio tracks playing simultaneously and I haven't had so much as a hickup. The only time I run into any kind of processor limitations is when I start to use lots of plugins. but even then, I have to start getting into the neighborhood of 10 different compressors, a dozen or so parametric EQs, and a few reverbs. Obviously this many plugins with so many audio tracks would be difficult for most any system to pull off successfully.

but the bottom line is..... I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! and would reccomend it highly

+Quote Post
FlixKid
post Fri 21 Sep 2001, 14:33
Post #4

Member No.: 1,801

Kryngle...

You say that you are using a G4? What kind of harddrive are you using in it? I'm just seeing if I will need a different one than the one that came with the machine and the additional 40GB IBM 7200RPM IDE that I have in there now.

Thanks tons.

--------------------
FlixKid

+Quote Post
slowjam
post Fri 21 Sep 2001, 17:54
Post #5

Member No.: 1,815

DP and (or) Pro Tools are the only Systems on the market where U can make a clear cut (in Audio Sample window), without moving the rest of the file to the beginning cut point. Cubase and Logic do so (in Sample edit window)
So if U have to cut a lot sample exact in Audio, without getting crazy - use DP - it's great.
I wonder why this important point never is mentioned by these so called 'pro's' in all these forums. Seems they spend more time on reading BB's, than on working with music.
Greetings, peejay

+Quote Post
igor
post Sat 6 Oct 2001, 20:13
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 32

to be precise....
Logic audio cut a sample in the Sample editor, yep, true, when u want to cut a sample, u want to cut a sample ;o)
If u want to keep is first place, u can cut it in the 'Arrange window' like that it keep the same place...

I've tried DP3, works good, seems to be a PRO soft...
my probleme was VST and Sampling function... Logic was my choice.
Igor

--------------------

ZgOgOr

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 22 Oct 2024, 15:56
- © MacMusic 1997-2008