MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multiple Core Audio Devices?
IGBscott
post Mon 26 Apr 2004, 15:49
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,888

Is Logic ever going to support multiple core audio devices? Is there anyone else out there that is completely frustrated with not being able to use multiple audio interfaces with Logic Audio in OSX?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pdgood
post Mon 26 Apr 2004, 18:33
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 34,758

Well, DP4 just recently has supported any virtual instruments at all and after almost 3 weeks with tech support I've yet to get it to recognize my sampler! So yours is not the only surprise out there. I've said this over and over.....music on the computer is not where it should be. What we need is one manufacturer to make (or host) a fully integrated suite that works together - computer/midi interface/sequencer/sampler. Then maybe the forums won't be full of bug reports and complaints and we can get back to the business of making music.

+Quote Post
editbrain
post Tue 27 Apr 2004, 05:41
Post #3

Member No.: 30,424

http://www.openlabs.com/neko.php

here is your all-in-one

+Quote Post
sahara
post Tue 27 Apr 2004, 06:12
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 30,936

Hey,

The OSX update to 10.4 is going to deal with alot of this stuff with Core Audio. additional tracks etc. if I understand your complaint.

I use DP and Logic and have no problems like you are describing. Usually it's something simple that I have overlooked. Sorry you are having trouble.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/macosx1034.html article below pasted includes Core Audio info for 10.3.4

Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.3.4

By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief
April 21, 2004 - Apple this week seeded the first pre-release build of Mac OS X 10.3.4, its fourth minor Panther update. The seed was labeled build 7H41 and was released to developers on Tuesday.

In a seed note, Apple said Version 10.3.4 should provide a performance gain when launching non-prebound applications. In addition, the update includes several changes that may affect device compatibility, specifically, TWAIN scanners, USB Flash Media, SCSI drives, iPods, and some PCMCIA cards. The update also reportedly incorporates updates relating to Audio FireWire and USB 2.0 connectivity for the iPod.

Version 10.3.4 also includes changes to Core Audio, OpenGL, Graphics, Core OS, and the High Level Toolbox, Apple told developers.

Apple also specified several known issues with the latest build involving Quartz Extreme and DVD playback, Safari table rendering, redraw problems, display resolutions, and System Profiler.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Tue 27 Apr 2004, 10:53
Post #5

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

PowerMac G4 + MOTU 828 + Logic Pro + Peak + tons of plug-ins = a fully integrated suite that works together. Works for me. cool.gif

+Quote Post
editbrain
post Tue 27 Apr 2004, 19:27
Post #6

Member No.: 30,424

rickenbacker,

I like your style!

happy recording,

editbrain

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Wed 28 Apr 2004, 13:55
Post #7

Maniac Member

[Blushes]

Why, thank you. My system and I have been very happy together for many months. We sure make sweet music together.

cool.gif

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Wed 28 Apr 2004, 19:01
Post #8

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

cool.gif
Have to agree with Rickenbacker on the Logic integration. Saving my pennies for the Pro upgrade.

DP4 still needs a little tuneup with it's AU detection. pdgood you didin't say which sampler you are using.

I'm in the same boat with samplers and DP4, VSamp crashes the AU check, the EXSP24, and EVP73 oass the test but CRASH DP. Ont he other hand I haven't been able to get the Logic AUs to work with other hosts.

cool.gif

Currntly only DP4 supports multiple audio interfaces from different companies on OSX

This post has been edited by gdoubleyou: Wed 28 Apr 2004, 19:03

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
pdgood
post Wed 28 Apr 2004, 21:19
Post #9

Rookie

Member No.: 34,758

gdoubleu - I'm using Kontakt and having trouble getting DP4 to see it. I also have Cubase VST32 which sees it just fine but has crash problems.
Rickenbacker....I wanted to go to Logic, but they offer no cross grade whatsoever and the Pro version is $1000. That is steep. Plus the interface you mention is excellent but is far more than I require for my situation and therefore also pricey. All I am trying to accomplish is to get sequencer and sampler to work together on my Mac. It sounds easy, but it just isn't happening. DP has AU problems, Kontakt has DFD problems, Cubase has crash problems and is a PC priority company, Logic Pro has no crossgrade and you have to buy all that extra software even if you only need the sequencer. Logic Express isn't full featured.
It took 30 days to get Cubase running on my computer. The Steinberg tech guys couldn't figure out the problem. Finally someone on a forum gave me the answer. Now I'm 3 weeks into battling DP and tech support still can't figure out why it doesn't see my sampler. These are the issues that no consumer should ever have to face. I only purchase major brands and I buy from reputable dealers. This is not to be snobby, it's because code is usually written to work with the major manufacturers first. There should be no exuse. These are not little bugs...these are big features that render the product useless for anyone that uses them. All I'm saying is - products should work as advertised. I don't think I should have to spend an extra $1000 because someone's advertised claims aren't true.
grrrrrr. OK, I got that off my chest. <calming down now> LOL

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Thu 29 Apr 2004, 12:31
Post #10

Maniac Member

That's it, pd - think calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean!

A lot of what you say is fair comment, though. Sadly, too many companies rush a product to market ahead of getting it rock-solid first. Steinberg in particular seem guilty of that. Their forum (cubase.net, I think) is full of disgruntled users. I had SX for a while and although I did quite like it, it was too buggy to rely on.

So yes, $1,000 is a (heck of a) lot to spend on music software, but with Logic Pro you get everything - and it all works. Sequencer, sampler, synths, plug-ins - it's all good. Believe me, you might think you have no need for a Hammond emulation or a vocoder, but you'll still find yourself using them! biggrin.gif

With Logic, even if you have a simple 2 in/2 out USB interface, you'll still have precious few headaches. Why not start with Express? Or look out for a secondhand copy of v5 Pro that includes the XSKey, then upgrade. That's how I got my copy of Logic Pro - I bought a PC user's v5 pack who was switching to SX.

It is odd that Emagic don't offer any crossgrades or even a demo, though. They did for a while when Apple bought them out, but nothing since. I suppose you need an XSKey to run Logic, so demos would be difficult.

I'm still waiting for the fabled 6.4 upgrade that will apparently directly support Apple Loops. It was rumoured to be out for end of February. No sign yet.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 21 Sep 2024, 09:36
- © MacMusic 1997-2008