MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Macworld: Apple Introduces Garage Band, Apple
dnigrin
post Wed 7 Jan 2004, 18:02
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,676

It doesn't need ReWire - Jack Tools is here!

http://www.jackosx.com

Cheers!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
_guest_Jason_
post Wed 7 Jan 2004, 21:45
Post #12

Visitors

I don't think their going to make Garageband so great that it would compet with their leading pro audio (Logic). I didn't read anything about "universal" plugins like AU, RST, etc. It just mentioned a few "preset" effects like the guitar amps, etc..

I think it is a great program, especially for the price and it fills a middle market for those who don't want to spend the money, time, desire to jump to Logic/PT.

Even with that said, the whole midi virtual instrument thing was amazing and that alone i think makes the product worth 50 bucks.

+Quote Post
wlevin
post Wed 7 Jan 2004, 22:06
Post #13

Member No.: 25,262

QUOTE (guest_Jason @ Jan 7 2004, 20:45)
I don't think their going to make Garageband so great that it would compet with their leading pro audio (Logic).  I didn't read anything about "universal" plugins like AU, RST, etc.  It just mentioned a few "preset" effects like the guitar amps, etc..

I think it is a great program, especially for the price and it fills a middle market for those who don't want to spend the money, time, desire to jump to Logic/PT.

Even with that said, the whole midi virtual instrument thing was amazing and that alone i think makes the product worth 50 bucks.

Yes! The Virtual Instruments are a nice deal. What I'd like to know is, if I buy a new Mac that comes with GarageBand, can I use my Emagic Logic to access that wonderful bank of 50 GarageBand Virtual Instruments? Maybe they are contained in an AudioUnit that any AU compliant software (like Logic) can access. That $50K Grand Piano, Acoustic Bass, and Drum Kit sounded really nice. Logic only comes with three virtual FM synth modules, but no included sample playback! angry.gif

--------------------
http://www.macboy.com
Cartoons for Mac Geeks

Mew & Zach
Mac Music Comic Strip

PowerBook G4 800MHz Mac OS X 10.3, Emagic Logic Platinum 6, amt8, Yamaha TG500 (x2), Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JD-990, Roland D-550, Korg M1, Oberheim Matrix 6R, Mackie LM3204 line mixer, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, V-Tech VT-1030 Cheap-O Uni-Directional Mic, Macromedia Flash 6 MX

+Quote Post
_NeutrixX_
post Thu 8 Jan 2004, 00:35
Post #14

Visitors

I don't think you guys really understand how big of a deal GarageBand is (and I mean to paid musicians whom already own pro audio software). I produce downtempo electro-acoustic psychedelic (bassy breaks stuff) tracks for a local label with Reason, Ableton Live and Logic, but none are as sweet (or should I say organic) looking as GarageBand for recording and editing tracks (Reason actually looks quite good for a synth/sampler/effects rack : yet visually lacks when one is editing within the track mode). Why should I even mention to you how good looking GarageBand is? Why you say? Simple. If it excites me to work with a good looking peice of software - which I admit - it does very much (appealing to my eye - with incredible ease of use and superior workflow), it will inevitably inspire my work. And if it inspires my work, in any sort of creative way, I would gladly pay far more than the small price of $49 for it! Now granted, it does not do all the things that Live, Reason or Logic does, but by the looks of it.... I think it will do what it does better than anything else I've seen. GarageBand should be able to listen to (and record in stereo, I believe) a firewire enabled piece of hardware (like Yamaha's brand new o1x) with the knobs controlling any enabled AudioUnit plugins (in real-time of course). Will the AudioUnit capability within GarageBand allow me to use mastering plugins (not to mention 5.1 mixing)? How many AudioUnit plugins can run in real time while simply monitoring (or recording) my 12 String & vocals? Can you pre-record midi to the AudioUnit plugin effects while monitoring guitar or vocals while jamming to a pre-recorded piece (to provide dub-like capabilities)? Will GarageBand listen to more than one midi device at any given time (keyboards, mixer & envelope pedals)?
Obviously I’m not sure on some of these paticular details, but I’ll find out soon enough. I must remind myself this is Apple’s first release of this product, and updates will inevitably follow!

The fact it will seemlessly integrate with Soundtrack (when scoring within FCP 4), plays and records at 24bit 96khz (I think – haven’t found the pdf on it yet – Soundtrack does - so GarageBand should), uses AudioUnits, comes with a large amount of high quality (better than CD quality) samples (some of the best I’ve ever heard by the way) and comes with 100 software instruments… well… it’s a steal (to say the least) at $49. Comparable software goes for hundreds of dollars more (not to mention the fact you get to upgrade your iDVD/ iMovie/ iPhoto as well). Not to mention the interface of those other apps are half as clean (re: slick) as GarageBand. Just check out the detailed “wood” side panels on the main mixer window. Don’t you think it adds a warm touch? I like details like that. Thank you Apple!

I’ll be buying it… I’ll also be upgrading to the “Jampack” available for it as well.
GarageBand is the start of something incredible, for professional and amateur musicians alike…

End of story.

P.S. - By the way, the difference between Soundtrack (which I've used) and Garageband is GarageBand will listen to (and record) midi signals, and has more editing features (along with virtual/software instruments). It will work seemlessly with Soundtrack when one is working with a FCP4 project. You would first do your composing within GarageBand (you could even use your Soundtrack loops if you wanted - 1000's are available with FCP4), then you would import your entire composition into Soundtrack - for final sequencing within the project that you're working on inside FCP4! GarageBand is far more powerful for creating original compositions than Soundtrack, but you will use Soundtrack within FCP4 to sync it up to your video timeline. Apple has hit another home run!

+Quote Post
_guest_Tim_
post Thu 8 Jan 2004, 02:43
Post #15

Visitors

How does anyone know what the editing capabilities of GarageBand are? The web site doesn't mention anything about editing MIDI, accessing CC data, etc. It only talks about building pieces by playing in MIDI data (no step entry method mentioned) or recording in audio, or using the included loops. There are no screen shots of any editing windows or tools. Is there support for building songs from sequences?

If a user is not able to edit MIDI data, then I don't believe it will be of any interest to anyone who uses any of the pro or hobbyist apps that currenty exist in terms of MIDI sequencing.

It seems unlikely that it is that limited, but how can anyone know in the absence of any other information?

Tim

+Quote Post
_Ron_
post Thu 8 Jan 2004, 09:02
Post #16

Visitors

Well, the way iDVD finally transformed DVD Studio Pro, I would bet that Logic7 will be transformed by Garageband rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
braj
post Thu 8 Jan 2004, 09:19
Post #17

Member No.: 32,729

QUOTE (guest_Tim @ Jan 8 2004, 01:43)
How does anyone know what the editing capabilities of GarageBand are?  The web site doesn't mention anything about editing MIDI, accessing CC data, etc.  It only talks about building pieces by playing in MIDI data (no step entry method mentioned) or recording in audio, or using the included loops.  There are no screen shots of any editing windows or tools.  Is there support for building songs from sequences?

If a user is not able to edit MIDI data, then I don't believe it will be of any interest to anyone who uses any of the pro or hobbyist apps that currenty exist in terms of MIDI sequencing.

It seems unlikely that it is that limited, but how can anyone know in the absence of any other information?

Tim

You hit the nail on the head for me. I'm wondering if you can import aiffs, midi files, etc. I'm wondering if you can use any AU (how about someone make an AU drum machine for GarageBand? Or a pattern sequencer?)

I can see it really taking off if it will allow this sort of manipulation. Even if it is bare-bones itself, if it does allow full AU support, it could be a really powerful tool.

To what degree it can be 'upgraded' will be interesting to see. Regardless, I ordered mine to go along with Metro SE (which I bought only last week!) Hopefully I can find a way to get lots of value from both products.

That said, Garageband has the best basic UI of any Midi sequencer I've ever seen. That in itself is a huge +.

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
post Thu 8 Jan 2004, 10:06
Post #18

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 14,645

Garageband should work just fine with external fw-interfaces.
(my MOTU-828 so far works with every application I've tried it)

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
braj
post Thu 8 Jan 2004, 10:41
Post #19

Member No.: 32,729

The more I think about it, the more I am feeling this will be a very big deal for pro music on the Mac. From Apple's site:

"And that’s only the tip of the iceberg. GarageBand’s Audio Unit support allows you to add hundreds of effects and recording tools."

It looks like you can use this adaptor to get VST synths (including drum machines) into GarageBand. With that, the possibilities are endless. Garageband could prove to be a great hub where you plug in lots of different media. Here's hoping anyway.

+Quote Post
Bass2001
post Thu 8 Jan 2004, 13:11
Post #20

Member No.: 25,455

QUOTE (guest_Tim @ Jan 8 2004, 01:43)
How does anyone know what the editing capabilities of GarageBand are?  The web site doesn't mention anything about editing MIDI, accessing CC data, etc.  It only talks about building pieces by playing in MIDI data (no step entry method mentioned) or recording in audio, or using the included loops.  There are no screen shots of any editing windows or tools.  Is there support for building songs from sequences?

The Loops page contains the comment "Software loops let you edit individual notes and even change the playback instrument" which presumably also means that you can change other parameters and create new loops from scratch (maybe saving individual loops for future use?), though I haven't yet found a screenshot that shows this functionality. Apple has several Macs set up with GarageBand at the Expo and I'm hoping that someone will post screenshots that feature the loop note editor.

I agree that GarageBand is a very exciting software package in terms of its uncluttered interface coupled with its low cost and expansion potential via plugins; the sound quality of the supplied instruments far surpasses something like FruityLoops on the PC (based on the Expo demo) and a future release of Logic based on the GarageBand interface should be awesome. (The Beatles are likely to be really upset by all of this!)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 1 Jun 2024, 21:34
- © 440 Forums 2011